Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Minecraft
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2013 9:43:08 PM

Ok, I have an i7 870 @ stock clocks that is getting up to 76C during normal gaming (Minecraft, Rigs of Rods etc.) and gets to 84C in 27 seconds on OCCT. Is this normal? I have heard that the max you want it at is 73C. I might get this cooler if it is too high. If this is normal for the CPU is it hurting my mobo? I am sorry for such a wall of text but I really can't afford a broken computer right now. :S

More about : unsafe temperatures

a b à CPUs
March 7, 2013 9:48:02 PM

your temps are a bit high (i assume you are using a stock cooler)

the cooler you linked is very good and will do the job just fine, a cheaper alternative would the cooler master hyper 212+/evo
Score
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2013 2:50:44 AM

Use some caned aire to blow out the dust in the PC, all should be good, if the CPU is left at stock speeds, and the fan isn't seizing up, then the stock cooler should be more then enough to cool you CPU, if you get a better cooler, yeah, it will cool better until you get more dust in the PC.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2013 3:29:25 PM

Viking2121 said:
Use some caned aire to blow out the dust in the PC, all should be good, if the CPU is left at stock speeds, and the fan isn't seizing up, then the stock cooler should be more then enough to cool you CPU, if you get a better cooler, yeah, it will cool better until you get more dust in the PC.

Just cleaned it a month ago, all stock though the fan is 2 years old now. I'll try reinstalling the heatsink and see if it makes a difference.
Score
March 8, 2013 7:04:07 PM

Yeah, they're both correct. You may want to go with something more reasonable like the Hyper 212+ as it is much cheaper. I'll guess the same and say your PC is dusty and the heatsink is old.
Score
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2013 7:09:11 PM

Well crap, a 2 MB/second DL caused this...
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 8, 2013 7:16:03 PM

it may be a loose heatsink since you should not reach temps as such during a simple download
a c 107 à CPUs
March 8, 2013 7:53:58 PM

Go with ColoredWater's recommendation about the Hyper 212+EVO and re-seat the CPU/heatsink combination. I have the Hyper 212+EVO and it is n efficient heatsink.

My temps on the i7 3770K (OCed) do not exceed 80 degrees C while stress testing with Prime95 - your CPU should run cooler under similar conditions.
Score
March 8, 2013 7:58:45 PM

Go ahead and pick up an aftermarket cooler.
Score
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2013 8:53:14 PM

Yeah, I will. I turned off hyperthreding for now and I don't get above 76c...
Score
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2013 8:55:03 PM

ColoredWater said:
Yeah, they're both correct. You may want to go with something more reasonable like the Hyper 212+ as it is much cheaper. I'll guess the same and say your PC is dusty and the heatsink is old.

getting a new PC in a year or so so (:p ) I will use the dark knight on that too.
Score
!