Sign in with
Your question

Guild Wars 2 Preformance issues.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 12:30:24 AM

I recently installed Guild Wars 2 and have had far worse performance than I was expecting. Would anyone be able to help me pinpoint the problem or If you know of a solution I would be grateful for any assistance.

Judgeing from the listed system requirements and the review given here (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-perfor...), I was under the impression that this computer would run Guild Wars 2 with medium or higher graphics with very little problem. However walking around in game I was achieving about 10-15 fps in the open world. this would drop to around 5-9 when there was fighting in the screen.
In a personal instance (Cave for the human personal story) I would get about 20 fps walking around, with a drop to about 5-12 in fights. once the instance was cleared, standing still I would have 20-43

Computer Specs:
Windows Experience Index: 5.9
Processor: Intel i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80 GHz 2.8 GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB
Graphics card: ATI Radeon 5970
Power supply: Corsair tx650w

What I have tried do to fix this problem:
I have reformatted the computer and tried the latest ATI Driver as well as the newest Beta driver, with no noticeable difference in performance.

If there is any other information missing, please let me know as this is my first post.
Thank you!
August 29, 2012 1:08:45 AM

What power supply are you running?
August 29, 2012 1:45:28 AM

Corsair tx650w
Related resources
August 29, 2012 1:57:14 AM

Looking at the benchmarks, it does appear to be CPU bound. You may try OC'ing that CPU, which should have a lot of room to improve, though you will want an aftermarket HSF for it.

I also did not see any cf/sli cards compared on the THG review. I'm not sure it will use it or not.
August 29, 2012 2:01:58 AM

Well, on full load the 5970 uses 403W on full load. The Corsair should be able to support that. Your computer in general should be able to run the game just fine. The game might not work that well with dual GPU cards.
August 29, 2012 6:13:14 AM

bystander said:
Looking at the benchmarks, it does appear to be CPU bound. You may try OC'ing that CPU, which should have a lot of room to improve, though you will want an aftermarket HSF for it.

I also did not see any cf/sli cards compared on the THG review. I'm not sure it will use it or not.

I am not all that confidant in overclocking my CPU. Would you hapen to know where I could find an overclocking guide for beginers? I have looked at [ http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263043-29-1156-core-c... ] however there are quite a few things I do not understand on there ( they could be worked through, but I feel like I may miss something important)
or would you have any ideas on where I could start?
Thanks!
August 29, 2012 6:16:04 AM

Deemo13 said:
Well, on full load the 5970 uses 403W on full load. The Corsair should be able to support that. Your computer in general should be able to run the game just fine. The game might not work that well with dual GPU cards.

Am I going to have to buy a whole new GPU to play Guild Wars 2? Or is this an issue that you think could be patched in the future (eather on the game end or with another driver update?)
Thanks for your Imput!
August 29, 2012 7:16:02 AM

It might be patched in the future.I would just lower the settings for now and see what happens. If you have to sell the GPU, you may as well. They are still strong sellers.
August 29, 2012 7:27:13 AM

All MMO games suffer from performance issues, Guild Wars 2 is no exception. I get pretty pathetic FPS sometimes on my 7970s
August 30, 2012 6:59:46 AM

Pinhedd said:
All MMO games suffer from performance issues, Guild Wars 2 is no exception. I get pretty pathetic FPS sometimes on my 7970s

What all of you guys fail to understand is that the MMO will only go as fast as your weakest hardware and software link. It's a COMBINATION of video card hardware AND driver updates, the computer's Operating System, how well the user keeps the hard drive maintained (defrag, etc.), what kind of hard drive, how fast the CPU is, how much RAM and what kind of ram, the motherboard, the sound card settings, mouse, keyboard, monitor setup, and last but not least you internet connection including you eithernet (NIC) card. All of these can make a MMO bottleneck.

WOW used to require low settings, but with the release of the GW2 game you'll need a fast machine. For this game I recommend a fairly new video card with up to date drivers, a CPU no slower than 2ghz Intel series 7 quad-based, 8 GB of ram that is less than a year old, a good motherboard housing them, a hard drive that is either solid state or something like a raptor drive by Western Digital that spins at 10,000rpm instead of 7200rpm and is SATA interface not IDE, a good monitor that can run true 1080 HD (most of these are about 24"), an optical wired mouse, a good NIC card, and a rocking fast Internet connection that is at least 10mb/sec up and download. And your operating system really needs to be either win xp64 bit or never, preferably win 7 64bit.

that all being said I honestly think that arena net publishers have not yet optimized their game for older machines and cards. I don't know of anyone, including me, that is doing over 30 fps in this game.
August 30, 2012 7:15:45 AM

baldimor said:
What all of you guys fail to understand is that the MMO will only go as fast as your weakest hardware and software link. It's a COMBINATION of video card hardware AND driver updates, the computer's Operating System, how well the user keeps the hard drive maintained (defrag, etc.), what kind of hard drive, how fast the CPU is, how much RAM and what kind of ram, the motherboard, the sound card settings, mouse, keyboard, monitor setup, and last but not least you internet connection including you eithernet (NIC) card. All of these can make a MMO bottleneck.

WOW used to require low settings, but with the release of the GW2 game you'll need a fast machine. For this game I recommend a fairly new video card with up to date drivers, a CPU no slower than 2ghz Intel series 7 quad-based, 8 GB of ram that is less than a year old, a good motherboard housing them, a hard drive that is either solid state or something like a raptor drive by Western Digital that spins at 10,000rpm instead of 7200rpm and is SATA interface not IDE, a good monitor that can run true 1080 HD (most of these are about 24"), an optical wired mouse, a good NIC card, and a rocking fast Internet connection that is at least 10mb/sec up and download. And your operating system really needs to be either win xp64 bit or never, preferably win 7 64bit.

that all being said I honestly think that arena net publishers have not yet optimized their game for older machines and cards. I don't know of anyone, including me, that is doing over 30 fps in this game.

You have absolutely no idea how hard it is to optimize an MMO do you?
August 30, 2012 7:22:08 AM

you're a troll, this is off-topic, I'm talking about users optimizing their system, not arena net. Duh!
August 30, 2012 7:30:10 AM

baldimor said:
you're a troll, this is off-topic, I'm talking about users optimizing their system, not arena net. Duh!

I think that you might be lost.

This is a thread about Guild Wars 2 and how MMOs in general almost always have sluggish performance. No matter how much optimization equipment manufacturers put into their drivers they cannot optimize out issues inherent to streaming data or a bottleneck between the developer's keyboard and chair.
August 31, 2012 1:56:20 PM

Pinhedd said:

Same here unfortunately, although I use 2 Nvidia GTX570's, with an i5-2500k OC'ed to 4.5Ghz.

Latest drivers, should be able to crush this game on Ultra, and typically it does, ~100+ FPS, although in certain areas I'll drop down to like 30-40 FPS, while my GPU/CPU utilization ISN'T maxed out and temps are fine.

It's frustrating because I know that I have more than enough power in my system. Typically I notice the FPS drop and most studdering when I pan the camera across a busy city or large WvWvW battle.
September 4, 2012 2:22:50 AM

Apocalyptica602 said:
Same here unfortunately, although I use 2 Nvidia GTX570's, with an i5-2500k OC'ed to 4.5Ghz.

Latest drivers, should be able to crush this game on Ultra, and typically it does, ~100+ FPS, although in certain areas I'll drop down to like 30-40 FPS, while my GPU/CPU utilization ISN'T maxed out and temps are fine.

It's frustrating because I know that I have more than enough power in my system. Typically I notice the FPS drop and most studdering when I pan the camera across a busy city or large WvWvW battle.

I have the exact same thing happening to me constantly , In normal questing world my frames are locked in at fps 60 and in world pvp my fps would drop to around 30 -40 and not recover , cpu usage hovering at 40% and gpu usages on 25% for both cards . Usually have to load to a spawn point or view a vista for this to recover .
!