Intel Duo Core 2 (2.66GHz)
Dual DDR2 Ram (4gb 535MHz)

Graphics Card:

AMD Radeon X1950 Pro (PCIe)

Dual Display:
AOC 2436
SyncMaster 2243BWX

Hello.

My system has been working flawlessly for years. You can tell by the hardware that this is not a new system by any stretch of the imagination.

When Windows 7 was released, I upgraded the OS to Win 7 64-bit Ultimate from Win XP 32-bit.

The system continued to work flawlessly...until a few weeks ago.

The problem is that some annoying video issues have propped up.

Sometimes, my cursor changes to a strange looking vertical line about the height of 2 or 3 icons tall. I have to move my mouse all over the place, off the screen, and then my icon comes back to normal.

Other times, I get these horizontal lines appearing on my apps or desktop, sometimes scrolling up or down, sometimes one or two just staying in one spot across my screen. They look like artifact lines.

At times, I get such lines, maybe 1-3 of them, about as long as 3-4 icons side-by-side, coming and going in different places only in certain applications, like those that are getting real-time data from the Internet (i.e. stock prices).

I've got a clean system. No viruses or malware. I've updated drivers. I'm thinking that perhaps my video card is starting to lose its mojo.

I'd like to make sure before just replacing a perfectly good video card.

So my question is two fold:

1. What is the recommended way to test that a video card is starting to flake before replacing?

2. If I have to replace, what would be a good card that can handle demands such as creating videos (Camtasia Studio and Pinnacle Studio)?

3. Yes I occasionally play games, although I'm not a 'gamer'.

I would appreciate some coaching or direction on this.

Thanks. :) 

Best solution

a c 191 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 12:57:05 AM

I would make sure that the card is not overheating at all. Sometimes that can be a result of overheating.

Also, your card is pretty old. You might need to invest in a newer card.

Do you have a budget?
a c 103 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 1:01:14 AM

what power supply do you have currently and what would your budget be for the upgrade? Something to look at would be the temps of your current gpu....download the program gpuz and see what the temps are while you are sitting at the desktop and while putting the gpu under load...also something to think about is dust build up..is there alot of dust in your system/gpu heatsink if so clean it out and see if that helps
m
l
September 5, 2012 12:43:33 AM

Best answer selected by rixtertrader.
m
l
!