I TOLD YOU INTEL INSIDE!

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Intel-inside.... you said you believe it when MS offcially anounces support for HAMMER. Its official of of 4:40pm 4-24-02

HAH HAH HAH !!!!

other stuff:

1.AMD and MS have a cross-license agreement for developing the OS
2.This was a JOINT press release - so MS is on board
3.THE REGISTER EMAIL WAS LEGIT !!!
4.Dave Cutler with MS is heading up development for the OS
5.Claw will stick with an ahtlon type naming: with some kind of "postscript" to designate it a clawhammer

6.Will demo an OS in 64-bit mode. It is a standard OS that has been ported to run 64-bit. No comment on what the final version will be called, nor whether it will be a stand alone product.
7. The single processor is releases first, multiprocessor second. Duh...

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Err, your wrong. did you head the Q&A afterwards?

The annouce was for Opteron and New Athlon not MS support.

Lots of hype.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Of course i listened..

Quote " we are announcing a SIGNED agreement bewtween MS and AMD to develop OS support for our next generation processor"

Im not sure how that could be misinterpreted.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Hangon here...how exactly did you interpret that webcast ?
Please state your facts and assumptions now before people start flaming you.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You heard it wrong.

The announce was for Opteron and new Athlon not MS support.

They could not comment on MS support and turned down questions after the first 3 poeple asked MS based questions.

I took notes while listening, and the said several times that the annouce was for Opteron and Athlon not MS support. and could not comment any further.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was listeing to the Q&A at the end, please do the same.

all questions were about MS support. They could not comment. other than saying the annouce was not reguarding MS support (even tho they mentioned it quickly a few times).

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
I am sure someone recorded it... I really wanna relisten to the first few minutes.

What they would not comment on is:
1. Any name for the OS
2. How it would be marketed
3. Whether it would be ported or a stand-alone OS
4. wether its modular

and things like that... I would love to 'support' my position. But i didnt record anything. I swear to god they said they have an agreement with MS to co-develop on OS. I did listen to the Q&A at the end. They wouldnt comment about specifics, but an "agreement" was announced in the beginning...

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
1. AMD has Microsoft support
2. The reason why your call got rejected was because they have not worked out the specfics of how Microsft will package this new OS i.e Home, Server and workstation.

That is why they could not answer anything specfic to the OS. Once MS decide how they are gonna market the OS I'm sure they will let us know the exact details.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
From AMD's website

"Sunnyvale, CA -- April 24, 2002 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced it is collaborating with Microsoft to incorporate 64-bit support for the future 8th-generation AMD Athlon™ and AMD Opteron™ processors into the Windows® operating system...

"AMD also plans to demonstrate its AMD Opteron dual processor-based server running a developmental 64-bit version of Windows at its annual shareholders’ meeting in New York City on Thursday, April 25.

"The demonstration features a server running a 64-bit Windows operating system, 64-bit applications, and other standard 32-bit office software, all on the same system. Those applications then are remotely accessed by the 8th-generation AMD Athlon desktop PC running Windows XP, illustrating the compatibility, flexibility and interoperability of AMD’s 8th generation processor family."

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~19906,00.html" target="_new">Link</A>

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, Why did they snuff MS questions at the end saying they could not comment now?

Did anyone hear more than 3 questions?

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Fugger, there was about 15-20 questions..

Only the first two mintues of the webcast had anything to do with an 'official' announcement of MS support. I think there is a chance you missed that part

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That I can't answer. I'll never understand business and marketing strategies.

I didn't even hear the webcast with my crappy 56K connection. I'll have to wait for the traffic to die down.

Oh, why bother. I'm sure it will be hashed over, again and again here.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
While everyone is saying "I told you so", I think I'll slip this in:

"Opteron will go from the front-end to the mid-tier to the back-room database servers, what's called the big iron market. It's targeted against <b>Itaniums</b>, Xeon MPs, Xeon scalable solutions."

/me exits the thread.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
It would be targeted at the low end itanium systems, I bet however that on spec a good hammer would beat or equal a similarly priced itanium system.

Only time will tell.

(and theres nothing the itanium can do that can be done on a x86-64 system as well, the methods would be different but the performance winner is not clear yet.)

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Did anyone hear more than 3 questions?
Yes, I heard over 10, and I tuned in again after you said the confrence was stoped and you were cut off.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates

eden

Champion
I was exactly thinking of showing this part. So FatBurger, do you see now that you should not have "yelled" or at least disagreed so hardly with me on the Hammer vs Itanium subject? I do not compare by architecture, but basically at the market here. If SledgeHammer suceeds, chances are McKinley has to come soon and be strong and non-costly, as the Opteron is there waiting.

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
<A HREF="http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9782961-0.html?tag=ltnc" target="_new">Click</A>

<A HREF="http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9779973-0.html?tag=ltnc" target="_new">Click</A>

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
hehe, sorry should have done that =) notice they are both on cnet investor site, but with 2 different sources!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!