New cpu shows different temperatures using different programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hi, i have an i7 3770k cpu and it shows different temperatures with different programs for some reason. real temp shows readings like 18,20,25,23 while core temp shows 25,26,32,29. This wasn't happening when i had my i5 2400 cpu and i'm wondering what's going on with my i7. when i go to bios before boot it shows that cpu is at 31c while mobo is around 29. Could someone help me figure out what's going on here?

Solution
Why are you setting TJ Max to 99? That's not correct for a Core i7-3770K.

Open up the RealTemp Settings window and click on the Defaults button so RealTemp can read the correct TJ Max for your CPU.

If you have manually changed TJ Max in either program then I suggest that you download a new version and start from scratch.

The RealTemp T|I Edition has eliminated the adjustable TJ Max feature since this is not necessary in the Core i CPUs. TJ Max is stored in each core of the newer CPUs so it is best to just let monitoring programs read the correct value.

RealTemp T|I Edition
http://www.overclock.net/t/1330144/realtemp-t-i-edition

Also keep in mind that a CPU temperature in the bios has nothing to do with the peak core temperature...
G

Turns out that core temp had a different tjmax than real temp and that's why the readings were different. I set tjmax on both real temp and core temp to 99 and now they show similar readings. Anyone know why both apps didn't have similar readings with different tjmaxs? I kinda want to know why it mattered.

pauls3743

Distinguished

This might indicate one of your programs doesn't have up-to-date information. I would go to both developer's websites and download the latest versions of coretemp and realtemp.

I'll also add that the temps indicated by your motherboard bios are different because they are taken from a different point in/on your processor. Coretemp/realtemp use sensors within the cores of processor itself while the bios temp sensor is a sensor somewhere on the casing of the processor.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason the tjmax matters is because the core temperatures are not measured absolutely but as a relative distance from reaching the tjmax temp.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
Why are you setting TJ Max to 99? That's not correct for a Core i7-3770K.

Open up the RealTemp Settings window and click on the Defaults button so RealTemp can read the correct TJ Max for your CPU.

If you have manually changed TJ Max in either program then I suggest that you download a new version and start from scratch.

The RealTemp T|I Edition has eliminated the adjustable TJ Max feature since this is not necessary in the Core i CPUs. TJ Max is stored in each core of the newer CPUs so it is best to just let monitoring programs read the correct value.

RealTemp T|I Edition
http://www.overclock.net/t/1330144/realtemp-t-i-edition

Also keep in mind that a CPU temperature in the bios has nothing to do with the peak core temperature reported by RealTemp or Core Temp. They are reading data from different sensors. The other thing is that Intel does not use 100% accurate temperature sensors. These sensors are designed and calibrated to manage thermal throttling at 105C and thermal shut down at approximately 130C. For that purpose, these sensors work great. These sensors were never designed or intended to be used for 100% accurate core temperature reporting. +/- 5C of error at the calibration point is typical. At idle, the amount of error might even be a little higher.

Solution
G

you the man unclewebb. realtemp Ti edition is showing the same exact temps as all other temperature monitoring apps that I have after reinstalling now so my problem is solved. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.