Sign in with
Your question

Build Help for Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2012 5:51:13 PM

Hello, I plan on building off of a base 600w psu.

The only things I am looking to upgrade to are:

I5 3570k
670 GTX FTW Evga 2gb
Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
Kingston Hyperx Blu 8gb Ram
OCZ 4 vtx4 128gb

I already have a dedicated hard drive so I plan on using that. Are all of these parts compatible with one another or are there any other recommendations?

Will I need to buy a new cooler for anything ?

Thank you !

More about : build gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
October 24, 2012 6:04:08 PM

Which 600W do you have?

The parts look fine.
m
l
October 24, 2012 10:24:34 PM

OCZ MODXSTREAMPRO it says its sli ready. Also its "80 plus certified" but I have njo idea what that means to be honest.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2012 4:23:46 AM

That's a decent power supply then. You're all good.

If you plan to overclock you are going to need a CPU cooler.
m
l
October 25, 2012 7:56:14 PM

TPMYPP said:
Hello, I plan on building off of a base 600w psu.

The only things I am looking to upgrade to are:

I5 3570k
670 GTX FTW Evga 2gb
Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
Kingston Hyperx Blu 8gb Ram
OCZ 4 vtx4 128gb

I already have a dedicated hard drive so I plan on using that. Are all of these parts compatible with one another or are there any other recommendations?

Will I need to buy a new cooler for anything ?

Thank you !

The GTX 670 is a pretty power hungry video card. The OCZ ModXStream Pro has 25A 12V rails, that is bare minimum for that beast of a video card. The OCZ ZT 650 has a 54A 12V rail which is a better choice, and it's FULLY modular.

Excellent choice of SSD and motherboard. I recommend 16GB of RAM as RAM is so inexpensive now.
m
l
October 25, 2012 7:59:45 PM

EVGA recommends this for a power supply.

"Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps.)"

The ModXStream Pro has only 25A 12V rails.

m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2012 8:04:39 PM

stchman said:
The GTX 670 is a pretty power hungry video card. The OCZ ModXStream Pro has 25A 12V rails, that is bare minimum for that beast of a video card. The OCZ ZT 650 has a 54A 12V rail which is a better choice, and it's FULLY modular.

Excellent choice of SSD and motherboard. I recommend 16GB of RAM as RAM is so inexpensive now.

The 670 is NOT a power hungry video card . The computer will run fine with even a 500 watt psu
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

It also doesnt matter how cheap RAM is . if you dont need it its a waste of money . Games are 32 bit programs and cant use more than about 3gig of RAM . 8 gig is more than any gamer needs . You wont even notice a drop in performance if you only have 4 gig installed .
But 2 x4 gig gives you some headroom

The Samsung 830 SSD would be my first choice
m
l
October 25, 2012 8:15:08 PM

Outlander_04 said:
The 670 is NOT a power hungry video card . The computer will run fine with even a 500 watt psu
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

It also doesnt matter how cheap RAM is . if you dont need it its a waste of money . Games are 32 bit programs and cant use more than about 3gig of RAM . 8 gig is more than any gamer needs . You wont even notice a drop in performance if you only have 4 gig installed .
But 2 x4 gig gives you some headroom

The Samsung 830 SSD would be my first choice

First off, the OP did not say that this PC was a gaming rig ONLY.

Second, EVGA (the maker of the video card) recommends a PSU with a minimum 30A 12V rail.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-267... (click the Details tab)

I guess you know more about EVGA's video cards than EVGA.

RAM is still pretty cheap, no reason to not buy 16GB.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2012 8:18:18 PM

stchman said:
The GTX 670 is a pretty power hungry video card.

♦ first the gtx 670 is not power hungry card actually its awesome card and as Outlander_04 said a 500w psu will run it without any problem.
♦ second are you really still believe that 16 gigs of ram is minimum for any build ?
m
l
October 25, 2012 8:26:22 PM

stchman said:
First off, the OP did not say that this PC was a gaming rig ONLY.

Second, EVGA (the maker of the video card) recommends a PSU with a minimum 30A 12V rail.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-267... (click the Details tab)

I guess you know more about EVGA's video cards than EVGA.

RAM is still pretty cheap, no reason to not buy 16GB.

That would be a total of 30 amps on the 12 volt rail [ assuming the psu only has one ] . A PSU with two 17 amp rails easily fits the spec . So while I dont know as much as evga about their products as evga do , I definitely know more about their products than YOU do

The title of the thread is
"Build Help for Gaming PC "
The OP mentions no other use besides gaming . And even then the only people who can use 16 gig of RAM are image and video editors and encoders who are using 64 bit programs . CS5 or later etc
Everyone else is more than fine with 8 gig and should spend the money on something that adds performance instead
m
l
October 25, 2012 9:39:38 PM

Outlander_04 said:
That would be a total of 30 amps on the 12 volt rail [ assuming the psu only has one ] . A PSU with two 17 amp rails easily fits the spec . So while I dont know as much as evga about their products as evga do , I definitely know more about their products than YOU do

The title of the thread is
"Build Help for Gaming PC "
The OP mentions no other use besides gaming . And even then the only people who can use 16 gig of RAM are image and video editors and encoders who are using 64 bit programs . CS5 or later etc
Everyone else is more than fine with 8 gig and should spend the money on something that adds performance instead

We can try to infer EVGA's meaning, but when they say 12V current rating of 30 amps, I cannot assume they mean TWO 12V current ratings of 15 amps each to equal 30 amps total.

Since the OCZ ModXStream 700W PSU does not have a 12V rail that is at least 30 amps. To risk an unstable system on using a PSU that does not meet the spec is ludicrous.

If I'm going to drop almost $400 on a video card, I'm not going to hook it up to a PSU that "might" be good enough. There are PLENTY of PSUs that are good enough that are approximately the same price.

We can debate back and forth about the 8 vs. 16GB RAM, and we're not going to convince each other that the other is right.

Instead of making this thread a pissing contest about who's right, you make a recommendation, I'll make a recommendation, and let the OP decide.
m
l
October 25, 2012 9:46:37 PM

You dont have to ainfer anything stchman

Just read the evga link you posted earlier . It tells you quite clearly a 500 watt psu is required for that graphics card

also some basic electrical knowledge and my calculator tell me Im absolutely right
volts x amps = watts
12 volts x 30 amps = 360 watts on the 12 volt rail [or rails ]

But again, it says quite clearly on the evga link you first posted that a 500 watt psu is required .

We also dont have to debate the amount of RAM required .
Anyone with an existing computer can set their game to run in a window then check task manger to see exactly how much RAM is being used . Just press
Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
and click on the process tab
The amount of RAM actually being used by the program is instantly in view .
16 gig of RAM is just a waste of money if that money can be spent elsewhere to increase performance

m
l
October 25, 2012 11:24:06 PM

Outlander_04 said:
You dont have to ainfer anything stchman

Just read the evga link you posted earlier . It tells you quite clearly a 500 watt psu is required for that graphics card

also some basic electrical knowledge and my calculator tell me Im absolutely right
volts x amps = watts
12 volts x 30 amps = 360 watts on the 12 volt rail [or rails ]

But again, it says quite clearly on the evga link you first posted that a 500 watt psu is required .

We also dont have to debate the amount of RAM required .
Anyone with an existing computer can set their game to run in a window then check task manger to see exactly how much RAM is being used . Just press
Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
and click on the process tab
The amount of RAM actually being used by the program is instantly in view .
16 gig of RAM is just a waste of money if that money can be spent elsewhere to increase performance

The link I posted had the requirement that the PSU was 500W AND has a 12V 30A rail. Just don't look at wattage and figure it's good.

Secondly, can you 100% guarantee that the two 6 pin PCI-E connections on the video card split the current up 50-50? One would think so, but only EVGA can give us the answer.

Yes, I'm also aware of Ohm's Law V = I * R and W = V * I, etc.

If 12V * 30A = 360W, then by your calculations the 12V rail on the OCZ ModXStream 25A rail is 12V * 25A = 300W and that is insufficient. Now IF the video card does indeed draw half its power from one PCI-E connector and the other half from the other PCI-E connector, we are all good. Who's to say that the two PCI-E connectors are indeed on rail #1 and the other on rail #2? Can you also guarantee that?

As I said before, we're not going to convince each other that the other is right, so let's stop trying.

My argument on the RAM is that RAM is really inexpensive now and the cost from 8 to 16 is really small compared to the overall price of a new PC. The OP never said that he/she is on a tight budget.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 3:29:11 AM

stchman said:
If 12V * 30A = 360W, then by your calculations the 12V rail on the OCZ ModXStream 25A rail is 12V * 25A = 300W and that is insufficient. Now IF the video card does indeed draw half its power from one PCI-E connector and the other half from the other PCI-E connector, we are all good. Who's to say that the two PCI-E connectors are indeed on rail #1 and the other on rail #2? Can you also guarantee that?

The one thing I can guarantee is that the OCZ ModstreamPro has 2 25a 12V rails, which is plenty for that card.

stchman said:
My argument on the RAM is that RAM is really inexpensive now and the cost from 8 to 16 is really small compared to the overall price of a new PC. The OP never said that he/she is on a tight budget.

I stopped trying to argue against you with this one awhile ago, so I just gave up. The OP can do whatever he or she wants.
m
l
October 28, 2012 2:57:15 AM

He just wants to feel safe and reassured his computer won`t burst into flames with an over worked PSU lol. Thank you everyone ! Helped a ton!!

I ended up going the

i5 3570k
EVGA 670 gtx ftw 2gb
Crucial M4 CT 128gb ssd
Kingston HyperX 8GB Ram
Z77X D3H motherboard

Most of the changes were based on price and review.

Thank you a ton for helping me out again and instilling confidence in my PSU !
m
l
!