PC acting weird, please help

hensie

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Hi!

My PC has been doing this for almost 2 weeks, there are a few variations of what it does: Screen turns black and sound goes off while PC is still running, other one: my PC just randomly shuts down without any warning and the 3rd one screen freezes and sound goes off..

I took it to the local pc shop 3 times already, they couldn't tell what was the problem they ran tests on all the components and everything looked fine after replacing my old HDD. But then I took it home and it happened again screen went black and sound went off as well during a youtube video..

I don't know what to do it's really frustrating , I have warranty on all the components but if I can't tell what's wrong then I can't send it to the company to repair it..

PSU: Corsair CX500 V2
Motherboard: ASUS M5A87
GPU: AMD Sapphire 6870 1GB
CPU: Amd Phenom X4 955 3.4 ghz

My temperatures are fine. Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 217926

Sounds like bad RAM or maybe a failing power supply. Have you run memtest? 8 to 10 hours to fully check 8GB.

http://www.memtest.org/

Download the precompiled .iso file. Burn it to a CD. Then change your boot order in BIOS to the CD drive first so the computer boots off the CD. This allows the memtest program to test 100% of your RAM with none allocated for Windows.

If you don't have a burning program use imgburn. It's a great free, lightweight burning suite.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Any errors at all in memtest mean a problem. Even one.

hensie

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I've done that and the guys in the PC shop have as well.
No errors at all.

It's really weird and annoying at the same time, cause I don't know whats the exact problem so I can't have it fixed..

D

Deleted member 217926

You ran an overnight pass of memtest ? Not just the memory tester in Windows but actual memtest?

Next thing I would try is a new power supply. I don't suppose you have an extra laying around?

Could also be a bad video card.

Are you overclocking anything? If so stop and see if there are still errors.

hensie

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I ran the actual memtest from a CD for over 6 hours.

I'm not overclocking anything.

The weird part is , these freezes/shutdowns are completely random , I mean sometimes it lets me play for hours and then it shuts down when I'm just browsing the internet..

So I guess the potential components that cause the failure are PSU/MOBO/CPU/GPU ? !

Unfortunately I don't have a spare one of any of these.

I ran benchmarks too , to see if the temperatures go up but it didn't happen.