Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Dimension e310:Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2012 7:00:39 PM

Hi,
My little brother wants to play a game (its called League of Legends?) on my dell dimension e310 (yes, its very old). I don't know if my comp can run the game. I also have half a thousand saved up to buy any potential upgrades to my computer if needed. Please help.

Specs for the Dimension e310
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim3100/en/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052310
Requirements for League of Legends
https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/234272-system-requirements
October 24, 2012 7:15:15 PM

My friend was able to play League of Legends on a Pentium 4 like your brother has. He might need RAM depending on how much he has right now.

Though, after reading through the documentation, you might not be able to because of the PCI-Express limitations.
October 24, 2012 7:23:58 PM

I currently have 2 gbs of ram (2 x 1gbs). Dell says that max ram for the dimension is only 2gbs, so no upgrades there. I was thinking of buying a PCI or PCIe graphics card just to try it out but i just don't know what to buy atm. Hopefully I can get it to run but if not, then I'm outta luck.
Related resources
October 24, 2012 7:46:52 PM

Just because Dell says that is the limit doesn't necessarily mean it is. It's possible they didn't test it with bigger DIMMs if they werent ever going to offer it with bigger DIMMS. Most all boards that support P4 work with 4 gbs of RAM, I understand that board you have has 2 slots, so it might be that only specific 2 gb chips will work.

For a video card, you could buy a PCIe 6670 card or maybe a 7750. They are cheap and will really help out for older games.
October 24, 2012 7:49:54 PM

Oh I see, no x16 slot. Scrap the 6670 idea.
October 24, 2012 8:16:04 PM

festerovic said:
Just because Dell says that is the limit doesn't necessarily mean it is. It's possible they didn't test it with bigger DIMMs if they werent ever going to offer it with bigger DIMMS. Most all boards that support P4 work with 4 gbs of RAM, I understand that board you have has 2 slots, so it might be that only specific 2 gb chips will work.

For a video card, you could buy a PCIe 6670 card or maybe a 7750. They are cheap and will really help out for older games.

When you say specific 2gb chips, do you mean only some chips by certain manufactures will work or to buy paired memory chips for the dimension?
October 24, 2012 8:22:29 PM

Wow. Never thought pci cards would be so pricey when compared to x16 cards. Should I really get one? I might just go for the GeForce 9400 only because its been opened already.

Best solution

October 24, 2012 8:55:34 PM

When i say 2gb chips, I mean a single stick of RAM that is a 2GB stick. You should be able to use 2 x 2GB on that board, but that's theoretical. If you had some to try I would go for it but I wouldnt buy any and expect it to work.

I would skip the 9400 for gaming, but it may be the best you can get without a new motherboard and CPU.
October 25, 2012 12:36:13 AM

Best answer selected by wgb_sangwoo.
!