Dell Dimension e310:Upgrade

wgb_sangwoo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Solution
When i say 2gb chips, I mean a single stick of RAM that is a 2GB stick. You should be able to use 2 x 2GB on that board, but that's theoretical. If you had some to try I would go for it but I wouldnt buy any and expect it to work.

I would skip the 9400 for gaming, but it may be the best you can get without a new motherboard and CPU.
My friend was able to play League of Legends on a Pentium 4 like your brother has. He might need RAM depending on how much he has right now.

Though, after reading through the documentation, you might not be able to because of the PCI-Express limitations.

wgb_sangwoo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I currently have 2 gbs of ram (2 x 1gbs). Dell says that max ram for the dimension is only 2gbs, so no upgrades there. I was thinking of buying a PCI or PCIe graphics card just to try it out but i just don't know what to buy atm. Hopefully I can get it to run but if not, then I'm outta luck.

festerovic

Distinguished
Just because Dell says that is the limit doesn't necessarily mean it is. It's possible they didn't test it with bigger DIMMs if they werent ever going to offer it with bigger DIMMS. Most all boards that support P4 work with 4 gbs of RAM, I understand that board you have has 2 slots, so it might be that only specific 2 gb chips will work.

For a video card, you could buy a PCIe 6670 card or maybe a 7750. They are cheap and will really help out for older games.

wgb_sangwoo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

When you say specific 2gb chips, do you mean only some chips by certain manufactures will work or to buy paired memory chips for the dimension?

festerovic

Distinguished
When i say 2gb chips, I mean a single stick of RAM that is a 2GB stick. You should be able to use 2 x 2GB on that board, but that's theoretical. If you had some to try I would go for it but I wouldnt buy any and expect it to work.

I would skip the 9400 for gaming, but it may be the best you can get without a new motherboard and CPU.

Solution