Single threaded Vs Multithreaded computer activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I have a question about the definition of single thread versus multithread computer activities.

I usually open one web page for example yahoo homepage and then open two more tabs within the same original yahoo web page so that I have three web pages open at the same time, and I also may keep a Microsoft word file open by the side of this web page. So totally I have 4 pages kept open at the same time (3 web pages + 1 Microsoft word page).

Is my above computer activity considered as single threaded or two threaded or multithreaded?

I am asking this because I am considering a dual core i-3220 versus quad core (A10 5800K) CPU. If the dual core Intel i-3220 gives as good service as AMD A10 5800K for the above mentioned computer activities then I will probably go for i-3220 because I generally like Intel more than AMD. If the above mentioned computer activities is considered as multithreaded (keeping 3 web pages + 1 microsoft word page available on the taskbar at the same time) then AMD A10 5800K may be better than Intel i-3220 agree - because A10 5800K handles the multithreaded activities better than the i-3220? Or it wouldn’t make any significant difference by choosing either of these CPUs?

Solution
The activities that use multiple threads are mostly those that perform video and other media transcoding. So your example does not really utilize multiple threads. If that is your major use then either processor will do.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
The activities that use multiple threads are mostly those that perform video and other media transcoding. So your example does not really utilize multiple threads. If that is your major use then either processor will do.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.