Sign in with
Your question

Which Type Of Anti Alising?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 5:58:40 AM

There are so many types Of anti aliasing ( http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Anti-Aliasing_(AA)#Types_of_Anti-Aliasing )

Which one is better? Which one is more common in pc games?

I am buying The GTX 660Ti if it does well with AA.

I hope you guys can help!

Thanks in advance :D 

More about : type anti alising

a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 6:01:50 AM

FXAA FTW! here is a good article on AA

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/12/fast-approxima...

edit: lol I think you edited your post when I replied...FXAA is the newest type of AA by nvidia it seems to have the least amount of performance hit and looks to be the best....the most common is MSAA used in most games....FXAA is good but the game has to have been coded with that in mind to really make good use of it
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 6:18:00 AM

Quote:
.FXAA is good but the game has to have been coded with that in mind to really make good use of it

so what about forcing the use of FXAA in any games via control panel (nvidia user)?
Related resources
August 29, 2012 6:21:05 AM

I checked the images and how come all the stuff in the pic are shinier(In MSAA)? Its really Distracting :( 
August 29, 2012 6:21:58 AM

drums101 said:
FXAA FTW! here is a good article on AA

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/12/fast-approxima...

edit: lol I think you edited your post when I replied...FXAA is the newest type of AA by nvidia it seems to have the least amount of performance hit and looks to be the best....the most common is MSAA used in most games....FXAA is good but the game has to have been coded with that in mind to really make good use of it

So, on new games ill use FXAA, but on older games i'll be forced to use MSAA which needs a lot of juice.
Will the GTX 660Ti do well at 4x or 8x MSAA in older games?
Many people say it wont do well due to its 'crippled 192bit memory bus'. Is this true?
Do AMD cards like 7870 support FXAA or similar anti-aliasing types?
If I buy an amd card will I be stuck with MSAA?
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 6:22:38 AM

I have been told (havent had any experience with it do not posses new enough hardware) that forcing FXAA on older games will cause unwanted edge "reduction" inside textures or in other places and will also cause the games user interface (like HUD) to look all weird bc FXAA is being applied to that too....I dont think there are currently any games out there coded for FXAA so that could be why it looks like crap....does anyone know if bf3 is coded for it?
August 29, 2012 6:22:45 AM

FXAA looks like crap. Every game I seen with it looked better without it on. FXAA just blurrs the whole screen, not sure why someone would actually want it. MSAA looks much much much better.
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 6:25:39 AM

I dont really know what you mean by shinier lol but make sure you click on the pictures in the link I sent you
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 6:30:34 AM

TXAA.
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 6:31:01 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
FXAA = Everything blurred

I think that is one of the issues right now with FXAA, its still in its infancy...if the game is not coded for it it doesn't know how to behave...hopefully with the newer games coming out they can take advantage of it, it would be nice to be able to slap a good amount of AA on and not see a big reduction in FPS
August 29, 2012 6:31:19 AM

drums101 said:
I dont really know what you mean by shinier lol but make sure you click on the pictures in the link I sent you

Sorry for the bad vocabulary :p 

In this pic:
http://www.codinghorror.com/.a/6a0120a85dcdae970b015394...
Observe the electricity pole, is glossy

In this pic:
http://www.codinghorror.com/.a/6a0120a85dcdae970b015394...
The electricity pole is 'matte'
It looks like an un-maintained lump of hair :??: 

And WOW the tree looks much more realistic in FXAA!
Do AMD cards support FXAA?
August 29, 2012 6:32:42 AM

amuffin said:
TXAA.

Any reason why?
Perhaps with a picture comparison.
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 6:38:06 AM

I think the shininess on the light pole is nothing major its just the different angle or something in the shot...they are not exactly the same notice difference in smoke....its almost impossible to create the exact same image everytime....as far as amd cards supporting fxaa...they sorta do...as long as there is an option in the game for it you can...bf3 has an option for it and amd recommends you use it....but with amd cards you cannot force it via the control panel like you can with nvidia cards
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 6:45:19 AM

FXAA is nice because it works even when a game doesn't work with traditional AA levels, but like MLAA, it is not the best. The good news is that it runs with little hit on performance. MLAA hurt performance more. I don't know how MLAA 2.0 has improved.

MSAA only improves jagged edges on the outside of objects, and many games now, it tends to miss a lot of jagged edges in the middle of objects.

Adaptive MSAA does some AA on transparent textures, which helps get rid of AA that MSAA missed, but only works on DX9 games and is AMD only.

Transparent MSAA and SSAA also fixes transparent textures. This is an Nvidia only option. I'm not sure how compatible this one is.

SSAA is the best one of all, as it fixes AA on everything, a lot like Ubersampling from The Witcher 2. This one takes a ton of power to use, so much it's usually unusable. AMD still offers this, Nvidia does not, unless you use a tool like Nvidia Inspector.
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 6:46:18 AM

esrever said:
FXAA looks like crap. Every game I seen with it looked better without it on. FXAA just blurrs the whole screen, not sure why someone would actually want it. MSAA looks much much much better.

i think it depends on one preference. personally i have been forcing FXAA in my games and i like it especially for games that does not support MSAA natively (such as Mass Effect 2).

Quote:
So, on new games ill use FXAA, but on older games i'll be forced to use MSAA which needs a lot of juice.

FXAA can be forced on older games or the one that does not have native support for FXAA if you were using nvidia cards. for games with native FXAA support (built into the game) FXAA can be use both by nvidia and amd user. i do not own radeons so i'm not sure if you can force FXAA via control panel like nvidia did but they do have MLAA which also can be force to any games. other way for the radeon users maybe by using FXAA injector if they want to force FXAA being used in the games

Quote:
Will the GTX 660Ti do well at 4x or 8x MSAA in older games?

i think so. if you think about it most old games will be easily handled by cards like GTX660 Ti so cranking the AA setting might not impacting the performance into unplayable territory. still it depends on the game. game such as crysis or metro 2033 maybe an exception to this line of thought :p 

Quote:
Do AMD cards like 7870 support FXAA or similar anti-aliasing types?

for FXAA the answer is yes. if i'm not mistaken CSAA was nvidia thing so i'm not sure if the setting was available when you use radeon cards. MLAA is amd only and the new nvidia TXAA is also for nvidia cards only

Quote:
If I buy an amd card will I be stuck with MSAA?

no
August 29, 2012 6:58:29 AM

What is FXAA via nvidia control planel?
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 7:21:21 AM

an option to force FXAA to be enabled (via control panel) on the any game that does not support FXAA function natively. for any games that have built in FXAA support the option will be disabled in nvidia control panel
August 29, 2012 11:57:13 AM

Which one is better TXAA or FXAA?
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 12:16:55 PM

i haven't seen TXAA in real action yet plus i do not owned 600 series card. so far the only game that use TXAA right now is EA's Secret World MMO:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-wo...

quality wise TXAA should be better but it will have more impact in performance than FXAA. IMO TXAA was somehow an upgrade to MSAA but TXAA will cost a lot less in performance impact given the image quality are the same between the two.

AFAIK nvidia has been improving their AA performance since Fermi. if i remember correctly AA was one of major improvement they aim to bring in with GF100

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2918/5
!