PSU fan replacement? TX850W Corsair

beans4you

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
So I saw a post about replacing the corsair 140mm fan with this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608017&Tpk=Noctua%20NF-P14%20FLX%20140mm
I've been wondering what all the noise in my antec 1200 is, one of the 8 120mm fans? well no, it's actually the psu fan with a wobbly sound.
Anyway researching this I also saw a few posts on the net saying the fan should NOT run the whole time but I could be mistaken, ramp up speeds is what
they meant? Either way I would like to replace this fan already since it should be a lot more silent than the other fans in my case.
I'm replacing all my antec fans with Enermax tb silence fans and I know for a fact this psu needs a new one.

Just to give you an idea, I have a gtx 480 running 50% fan speed and I can't even
hear that over the psu at idle.

Thanks.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
You have to use the same voltage/amp for the new fan as was previously in the PSU otherwise you will get a burning smell from the PSU and possibly from the motherboard as well.

Edit - wobbly sound infers that the bearings in the fan base are loose, you need to RAM the power supply or get a new one. Most PSU fans wires are soldered to the circuit board but on occasion there are some with a 3 or 4 pin connector.

As started above, you need the same voltage amp as well as the same connector if there is one.

beans4you

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Forgot to post a solution.

I bought a Fractal design - Define R4 case, put two Noctua 140mm fans in the front, took the stock Fractal and replaced my corsair 850w tx psu fan with that. It looks sharp with the other white Fractal Design case fan in the back as exhaust.

- No burning smell.
- Easy to install.
- 10 months running fine.
- Ascetically pleasing.
- Sound reduced tremendously!

Don't use this as an excuse to place blame upon me if it doesn't work for you, maybe I got lucky.