Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will this system work ok?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 24, 2012 9:05:30 PM

Hello everyone im helping my friend with a build and just wanted to do a final check to make sure everything would work and if you guys had any suggestions. this is his list of parts,

Case: Nzxt phantom 410 mid tower case (black with orange trim http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168... also with some additional fans, a 140 mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168... and a 120 mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Video card: Asus nvidia 660 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Motherboard: an asrock z77 extreme 4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

CPU: intel 3570k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Hardrive: western digital blue 750gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Optical drive: cd/dvd drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Ram: 2x4gb carsair vengence black (1600mhz) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Power supply: Cooler master silent pro m600 80 plus bronze certified http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

More about : system work

October 24, 2012 9:21:42 PM

CM is a dishonest company which, among other things, deliberately mislabels many of their PSUs. The Silent Pro series may be about the only one that isn't mislabeled, but like I said the company is dishonest, so I cannot ethically recommend buying ANY product from them, no matter how good.
That case comes with front, rear, and top fans, so you should not need to buy any more fans.
Assuming this machine is [mostly] for games, I would suggest a HD7870 or HD7850 instead of the GTX660. It may not matter in today's games, but the crippled compute performance of the Kepler series cards is a butt-bite waiting to happen. Newer drivers are really uncorking the untapped power of AMD's new GCN architecture, so I believe the HD7870 in particular will be a stronger performer.

Edit: A good PSU choice would be this modular 550W Capstone: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or, for another $20, this 550W Seasonic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l

Best solution

October 24, 2012 9:22:29 PM

Good all-around. I prefer a 7870 over a 660, but that's personal preference because I like the lower power consumption and extra compute power ( the 660 will deliver slightly faster gaming frames, though. )

If you're willing to spend $100 on a PSU ( good for you, BTW, never skimp on a PSU, ) I'd look for a Seasonic, FSP, or Antec model. You might even pick up a gold cert for that price. Or stay bronze and save some cash.
Share
Related resources
October 24, 2012 9:26:41 PM

Wow, I missed that CM wanted $100 for that PSU; the superior Seasonic is the same price.

The narrower memory interface of the Kepler will also hold it back if you like to play with high levels of AA.
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 9:30:07 PM

RedJaron said:
Good all-around. I prefer a 7870 over a 660, but that's personal preference because I like the lower power consumption and extra compute power ( the 660 will deliver slightly faster gaming frames, though. )

If you're willing to spend $100 on a PSU ( good for you, BTW, never skimp on a PSU, ) I'd look for a Seasonic, FSP, or Antec model. You might even pick up a gold cert for that price. Or stay bronze and save some cash.

Thanx man i will upgrade the power supply, will this work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 9:32:18 PM

Onus said:
Wow, I missed that CM wanted $100 for that PSU; the superior Seasonic is the same price.

The narrower memory interface of the Kepler will also hold it back if you like to play with high levels of AA.

Whats AA?
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 9:35:22 PM

AA = Anti-Aliasing. It smooths edges by removing "jaggies."
The Aurum PSU is another good one, but it is not modular (if you care). You could easily run a HD7870 with a decent 500W PSU.
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 9:36:06 PM

Onus said:
CM is a dishonest company which, among other things, deliberately mislabels many of their PSUs. The Silent Pro series may be about the only one that isn't mislabeled, but like I said the company is dishonest, so I cannot ethically recommend buying ANY product from them, no matter how good.
That case comes with front, rear, and top fans, so you should not need to buy any more fans.
Assuming this machine is [mostly] for games, I would suggest a HD7870 or HD7850 instead of the GTX660. It may not matter in today's games, but the crippled compute performance of the Kepler series cards is a butt-bite waiting to happen. Newer drivers are really uncorking the untapped power of AMD's new GCN architecture, so I believe the HD7870 in particular will be a stronger performer.

Edit: A good PSU choice would be this modular 550W Capstone: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or, for another $20, this 550W Seasonic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ok thanx for the psu suggestions. also thanx for letting me know about radeon being a better choice i had thought that nvidia drivers were a better choice thanx for the heads up.
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 9:44:46 PM

I think you'll be pleased with the Aurum. Modular cables can be nice for cleaner wiring inside your case, but you can save a good chunk of change without them.

And yes, as jtt says, you likely won't need the extra fans.
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 9:55:55 PM

yobro77 said:
Ok thanx for the psu suggestions. also thanx for letting me know about radeon being a better choice i had thought that nvidia drivers were a better choice thanx for the heads up.

I don't want you getting the idea that the 660 is a bad card. You can read Tom's article where they specifically tested the memory bandwidth limitations. Some games don't care about the memory interface and will perform just fine. Some might suffer a bit, but only at higher resolutions where you crank up the AA ( past 4X usually, ) and use hi-res textures. Meaning this may or may not affect you. But even in the games that are affected, you're still getting playable framerates.

At general graphic levels ( 1920x1080, med-high settings, AA 4x or less, ) you likely won't notice the difference between the 660 and the 7870 ( especially with the Ivy Bridge in this build. ) But if you want to crank the details or resolution, the 660 will show its weakness.
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 10:00:46 PM

I would not be too concerned about driver quality, many statements on that subject are the natterings of fanboys. Over the years, both nVidia and AMD have had very good and very bad drivers from time to time. Most recently, AMD had major problems, especially with Crossfire on new games (in some cases it was completely unsupported at release). Prior to that, nVidia had some drivers that were toasting some cards, especially in laptops. Right now, both companies' drivers seem to be pretty good. AMD's new GCN architecture seems to have some as yet unrealized potential, which drivers are beginning to bring out. OTOH, unless you want to spend $400 on a graphics card, many of nVidia's latest offerings seem to be crippled in some way, whether it's dismal compute performance, a narrow[er] memory buss, or both. I really don't understand this. I used to own a few nVidia cards, and they have some features I like (e.g. PhysX, supported in at least one of my games), but lately I've been running all AMD cards.
m
0
l
November 4, 2012 12:05:59 AM

Best answer selected by yobro77.
m
0
l
!