Best i3 version for office work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradenthefirst

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
I am doing an home pc build for my mother, who will do nothing but email, web, and looking at digital photos.

What is the best version of an i3 chip for this application? Will the on-board graphics of that chip be enough for this type work or will I need a dedicated GPU?

Thanks!

Solution
Any i3 will enough for basic tasks. If you have a Microcenter nearby, I suggest the i3 3225, since you can get a big discount on motherboard with it. The integrated graphics is now on the CPU, not the board. Yes, it will be fine for just basic tasks that you are looking at.

logainofhades

Titan
Any i3 will enough for basic tasks. If you have a Microcenter nearby, I suggest the i3 3225, since you can get a big discount on motherboard with it. The integrated graphics is now on the CPU, not the board. Yes, it will be fine for just basic tasks that you are looking at.

Solution
Yeah, any Ivy Bridge Core i3 CPU like the i3-3220 will do. The integrated Intel HD 2500 will be more than enough for her basic needs. Models ending with the number 5 will have the Intel HD 4000 which is a lot more powerful than the HD 2500 and adds about $10 to the overall cost. For example, the i3-3220 sells for roughly $120 while the i3-3225 sells for about $130.

logainofhades

Titan

Yea I only recommend the 3225 if he has a microcenter nearby due to the $50 off the motherboard purchase. :D

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If price is a concern the 2105 is a good chip. It can be had (for $114) cheaper than the 2100, and all the IB CPUSs at Newegg. Alternatively the 2120 i3 (again a SB and not IB processor) can be had for $99 at Tigerdirect.

Any i3 processor will do be it Sandy or Ivy for your mom's use.

Status
Not open for further replies.