Sign in with
Your question

Mini itx or mAtx gaming build

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2012 9:27:55 PM

This is my first build for a decent gaming desktop which has to be portable with less noise and heat issues. I am mostly concerned about the case I should choose for a portable one. I see that a lot of reviews say that I should atleast use a mAtx mid tower. I am looking for something small and portable.

Some components that I decided are

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Nvidia 660 Ti 2GB Graphic Card

I will be thinking about the motherboard and the PSU after deciding on the case. Can some one suggest me a good, decent and importantly a portable desktop case. I am looking for something which is 12" x 5" x 12" . smaller the better. I am also open to cases with other dimensions as long as they are not pretty big.

Thanks!
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 12:00:51 AM

An mITX build will have a very limited lifespan due to the lack of proper air flow. If you get an mATX build with say a Fractal Design Arc MINI that will last you a few years no problem.

As far as your chosen components go - get G.Skill Ares RAM instead of Corsair XMS, and get the Radeon 7950 instead of the 660TI.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 1:16:29 AM

matx is the way to go. generally better power delivery circuitry, more expansion and more compatable products

id get a set of gskill ripjaws x at newegg. 34.99 is a pretty good deal

and i would also get a 7870 instead of a 660ti. performs very close to a 7950 while being 70 bucks cheaper. there is a xfx 7870 that is selling for 209.99 after MIR at newegg

i go seagate but WD has a longer warranty
m
l
Related resources
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 1:19:16 AM

TheBigTroll said:
matx is the way to go. generally better power delivery circuitry, more expansion and more compatable products

id get a set of gskill ripjaws x at newegg. 34.99 is a pretty good deal

and i would also get a 7870 instead of a 660ti. performs very close to a 7950 while being 70 bucks cheaper. there is a xfx 7870 that is selling for 209.99 after MIR at newegg

i go seagate but WD has a longer warranty

Some models of the 7950 can be had around the $275 range now - totally worth the extra $25 if you ask me.
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:08:18 AM

Thank You guys for all the suggestions.

Can you suggest guys me a decent case for a build like this ?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 2:23:37 AM

cheapo case + cheapo power supply = case breaking + good explosion

and no it wont fit. it wont even power it (or barely)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 2:24:43 AM

lol: fits semi high graphics card. what does that mean?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 2:26:29 AM

jkanche said:
This is my first build for a decent gaming desktop which has to be portable with less noise and heat issues. I am mostly concerned about the case I should choose for a portable one. I see that a lot of reviews say that I should atleast use a mAtx mid tower. I am looking for something small and portable.

Some components that I decided are

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Nvidia 660 Ti 2GB Graphic Card

I will be thinking about the motherboard and the PSU after deciding on the case. Can some one suggest me a good, decent and importantly a portable desktop case. I am looking for something which is 12" x 5" x 12" . smaller the better. I am also open to cases with other dimensions as long as they are not pretty big.

Thanks!

About the best case would be the Lian-Li PC-TU200A
It is aluminum, so it is light 13.35" x 8.7" x 11.42"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If the price of $160 is a bit harsh, the same case is available without the handle and rounded corners in the form of the PC-Q_* for $99:
They use ITX motherboards, standard atx psu, and dvd drives.
They can hold the longest graphics cards made today.
I have built using the Q08. The 140mm intake fan provides all the cooling you might need for the graphics card.
The cpu will be limited to a low profile downdraft type.

Because your GTX660ti is not an unusually long card, I think it would fit in the Q11 case, but I have not researched that.
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:26:35 AM

TheBigTroll said:
lol: fits semi high graphics card. what does that mean?

Yea I didn't understand that part... i don't know whats a semi-high graphics card!

but can you recommend me any other microAtx mini towers
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 2:34:46 AM

jkanche said:
Thats pretty good, Do you think this will fir the graphics card ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't think so.
Your card is 9.5" long., and 4.38" high.Looking at the interior, it seems to stop at the end if the ITX motherboard which is 9" x9".
Also, you may need to be looking at a low profile graphics card, and there are none I know of that are 4" or less tall.
The case is only 5" tall, and that does not leave much room for the motherboard and standoffs. It might be possible, so I would search for reviews or forum posts of those who have used the case for gaming.

Lastly, I would not trust any psu that comes with a case except Antec.

m
l
!