Nikon NEF import into PS CS problems

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 29, 2004 4:51:35 AM

OK, a little problem with CS and RAW. I've been using the Adobe RAW plug-ins
(upgrading as they have become available) to work on NEF (Nikon) RAW files. No
problem until recently. Every time I've opened an NEF into CS, I got the
entire, multi-tabbed menu.

Then, I installed Nikon Capture 4.1.x and got a new D70. When I opened some of
the NEFs from the D70, all I got was the single pane, non-tabbed RAW converter
dialog box. I downloaded the 2.4 beta, and installed it in place of my 2.3
plug-in. Still, just the single pane converter. I then opened some of the
older NEFs, that had worked just fine, and NOW they too come in with the
single pane dialog box.

It appears that Nikon Capture has done something to PS CS, regarding the RAW
files. The NEFs are now associated with Nikon Capture. Before I change my
associations and maybe uninstall Nikon Capture, I wanted to get some thoughts
from the NG. Anyone else experience these problems? Any thoughts?

Right now, my first action will be to read your posts, then change the
association to PS, then uninstall. I want to have Nikon Capture on the laptop,
but also want to open my NEFs directly into PS, as before.

TIA
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 5:36:56 AM

Hunt <noone@hunt.com> wrote:

> Then, I installed Nikon Capture 4.1.x and got a new D70. When I opened some
> of the NEFs from the D70, all I got was the single pane, non-tabbed RAW
> converter dialog box.

When you installed Nikon Capture, it quietly installed its lousy plugin
into Photoshop.

You need to remove the Nikon plugin from Photoshop so that Camera Raw will
be used instead.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

"Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
> Hunt <noone@hunt.com> wrote:
>
> > Then, I installed Nikon Capture 4.1.x and got a new D70. When I opened
some
> > of the NEFs from the D70, all I got was the single pane, non-tabbed RAW
> > converter dialog box.
>
> When you installed Nikon Capture, it quietly installed its lousy plugin
> into Photoshop.
>
> You need to remove the Nikon plugin from Photoshop so that Camera Raw will
> be used instead.

Huh, I didn't know there was a better plug-in. I always just thought that
Adobe didn't give much thought to the Nikon plug-in.
Related resources
December 29, 2004 7:07:59 AM

In article <10t462863apjn49@corp.supernews.com>, jeremy@exit109.com says...

>Hunt <noone@hunt.com> wrote:
>
>> Then, I installed Nikon Capture 4.1.x and got a new D70. When I opened some
>> of the NEFs from the D70, all I got was the single pane, non-tabbed RAW
>> converter dialog box.
>
>When you installed Nikon Capture, it quietly installed its lousy plugin
>into Photoshop.
>
>You need to remove the Nikon plugin from Photoshop so that Camera Raw will
>be used instead.
>
>--
>Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com

Jeremy,

I found the Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi and moved it totally out of the Adobe\\Plug-
ins\File Format folders and all is now right. Thanks for the suggestion. I had
to look a bit for the Nikon plug-in, as it was in Adobe\\Photoshop Only\File
Format folder, not in the "normal" Plugins\File Format folder where the Adobe
RAW plug-in goes.

Thanks,
Hunt
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:39:17 AM

C J Campbell <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
>
>> You need to remove the Nikon plugin from Photoshop so that Camera Raw will
>> be used instead.
>
> Huh, I didn't know there was a better plug-in. I always just thought that
> Adobe didn't give much thought to the Nikon plug-in.

There aren't separate Adobe plugins; Camera Raw handles everything.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
December 29, 2004 7:40:39 PM

In article <V_SdnWYDd9vN3k_cRVn-1w@wavecable.com>,
christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com says...

>"Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
>> Hunt <noone@hunt.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Then, I installed Nikon Capture 4.1.x and got a new D70. When I opened
>some
>> > of the NEFs from the D70, all I got was the single pane, non-tabbed RAW
>> > converter dialog box.
>>
>> When you installed Nikon Capture, it quietly installed its lousy plugin
>> into Photoshop.
>>
>> You need to remove the Nikon plugin from Photoshop so that Camera Raw will
>> be used instead.
>
>Huh, I didn't know there was a better plug-in. I always just thought that
>Adobe didn't give much thought to the Nikon plug-in.

In this case, the Nikon plug-in always got preference, even when buried down
the folder hierarchy. I just moved it out of that hierarchy and all was right
with my world. I prefer the Adobe CS RAW to the Nikon Capture, but that is
probably because I am much more familiar with it and didn't want to interrupt
my workflow. Jeremy's suggestion was right-on and my thanks to him.

Hunt
!