• Yes

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

morgoth780

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I am simply curious about others' opinions on this.

APUs are great for extremely low-budget gaming PCs. You can get a build with one for under $350, and graphics performance at that price point is nothing to scoff at. However, I would have to say that in general it's not worth it because of upgrade limitations. You've purchased an FM1/FM2 motherboard for an APU, so to upgrade the CPU you're going to need a new motherboard. As for upgrading the graphics card, unless you can get an HD 6670 for Hybrid CFX- which isn't a very big upgrade, especially with the high chance of micro-stutter- or a higher end card; the problem with getting the higher end card defeats the point of buying the APU in the first place over an i5 or FX 6300, since it's integrated graphics are no longer used.

Again, I just want people's thoughts on APUs in gaming rigs. Please stick to them, and don't get somewhat off topic by talking about their utility in HTPCs.

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

+1

biopolar

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
APUs I think could have greater potential in the future, but now, no.
I'm not completely clear on the capability that AMD apu's have with mid-high end gpus but I can imagine that it will be a bottleneck if you decide to go say with a 7750 (an already dying card).

hellagrant

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I was thinking about an APU build myself not too long ago. If you need something right now! and your budget is under $500, then APU might be the best choice.

I think when you think about bang for buck, APU are not that great. Also upgrades will be difficult, are they even making new APUs for FM2?

Graphics, even if you crossfire, you are crossfiring 2 low cards.

I ended up just getting a GPU and will hold off on a new CPU.

But I do want to state that I think APU can be a viable option in the future for many people. I like the concept and it seems to work well. But for people like us, I think it is too weak.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I built an apu based machine on an extremley low budget when my wifes pre built died. I used a a6 3500, for what the price was it was a very well perfoming chip for everyday use as well as playing older games on low resolution.

I recently dropped a 3870k(on sale for like $80) and 7850 and have been able to play some of the more demanding games out there in 1080p.

I think it depends on the scenario and/or budget at the time of purchase.

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
nope~ a gaming rig should have a dedicated graphic card which makes any apu obsolete...

the current choice of cpu should be like this>
$ - amd phenom x2 / intel celeron - the beggars choice
$$ - amd phenom x4 / intel i3 - the decent rig
$$$ - amd phenom x6 / intel i5 - the best bang for buck
$$$$ - intel i7 - the overkill
$$$$$ - intel i7x - the pure madness incarnated

Diamond-HP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I'm speaking from immediate experience as I just went through this very situation myself as my upgraded PC is one week old.

I scrapped the idea of an APU pretty early as you mention if I want the power discreet GPU's give what's the point of an idle onboard GFX?

My FM1 mobo was looking like a problem but thankfully I picked two components that can be over clocked and I'm extremely happy with the results.

My starting spec was 2.4Ghz Dual APU / HD6??? either way it was pretty poor.

I opted for an Athlon II X4 651K 3.0 Ghz quad and a HD 7850.

Now I'm hitting 82.4 fps on high on Heaven Benchmark and have Oc'd to 3.5Ghz CPU and OC'd the 7850 which could go a lot higher from reports.

The way I look at it, it is bad enough with an FM1 being limited to CPU Ghz (I was lucky AMD released the 651k black addition) usually at 3ghz maximum and also having to suffer poor GFX capabilities due to the always imo substandard onboard GFX.

I have to add though the most important question I've learned is first and foremost "What do you want from your PC?" if your aim is to surf the net and pick up emails then it's a great option, if it's to play games on then no certainly not unless your a huge Pac man and Space invaders fan.