Power supply size related to case size

Hey everyone,

I am very interested in building a new PC with a mini-itx case for portability reasons. Specifically, with the cooler master elite 120 advanced case. Within this case I intend to have an i5-2500k as well as a gtx 670 (or 470 depending on whether I upgrade or not from old systems). I probably will aim for 8gb of ram.

Here are my questions:

What kind/size of power supply can fit in a small case like this? I don't suppose I can fit my corsair hx 850 psu in there?

Also, what kind of HDD can I fit in a case like this? Do I need an ssd or will a standard hdd fit just fine?

And finally, would I be able to use this as a cooler for the processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015 ? I know it is compatible, I just wonder whether or not it would fit.

Thanks for the help and input,

k factor
2 answers Last reply
More about power supply size related case size
  1. I'd scrap your plans - that kind of hardware will not fit in an mITX system and still be able to have adequate cooling. A full size ATX PSU - modular or not - will not be able to fit in that small of a form factor. You won't be able to use a plastic water block either, you might be able to use a top-down fan but that would be cutting it close.

If you want that kind of a system you might want to check out the Falcon Northwest Tiki or Fragbox.
  2. just build in a matx case. not much bigger and you have so many more options for cooling and components. itx cases generally run very hot if you throw this kind of hardware inside
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Cases Power Supplies Systems Product