PC freezing and crashing with new setup

FC360

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I recently got a Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 and a AMD FX-8320 recently and am experiencing some issues with my new components. I installed my existing ram, 2 2GB DDR3 1066 and a third 1 which is 1600 but same size, HDD, Graphics card which is a AMD 6580 from Asus and my PSU however I noticed the Vcore was going above 1.5 but after consulting some people on these forums I was able to sort the problem by updating the bios and clearing cmos

I have also been experiencing performance issues where the computer seems to take awhile to start up, seems to take the same amount of time my old setup took just before I got this new cpu and motherboard which had me a little worried but I didn't think much of it. I have since started experiencing freezes and now my computer has just started completely crashing. It's still able to boot but as it seems to take longer then it should to boot up I think something might be wrong so I decided to come here and ask for advice.

I also get some power warnings from the Asus smart Suit program, usually telling me the 5V is too high but when I check it's back down to 5V so I don't think the new PSU is causing a issue. I am thinking it might be the Motherboard since when I first installed it it was set to slightly overclock the CPU which caused Vcore errors to come up and as I said above clearing the cmos and updating bios sorted this problem. I just need to know what the problem is so I can take the relevant action before the returns policy with the shop I got it from runs out if something does indeed need replacing.

Also I ran a dskchk on my HDD and ran some scan thing a friend told me about in cmd prompt and both were clear so it doesn't sound like a HDD issue.

1 more thing I have noticed something strange about the booting up on the PC, after the press f2 del to get into the bioe screen a black screen appears with green dots at the very top of my screen for several seconds before the windows login screen appears. I thought this was odd but as it does it everytime I just assumed this is normal, is this normal or not? Also checking the bios shows no problems from what I can tell however my technical expertise go as far as basic troubleshooting and building a computer, these types of issues I have little to no knowledge of so can someone please please help me as I spent quite a bit of money on this new PC.

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
If you have tested your HDD and it is fine then next to try is RAM run this prog http://www.memtest86.com/ It will test your memory sticks for faults, you will need to burn the file to disk and run from boot for the program to work.

When you say you are using the asus smart suit do you mean Ai suit (has all sorts of tools for monitoring fan control ect) if so there is a known bug with the sensory readings with that utility, it throws up random warnings when non are there.

FC360

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Ok that has eased my mind about the AI Suit thing. I have the memtest running, it's done 4 passes so far and hasn't found any errors and from what I read it should have found at least 1 error by now. I am going to let it do a few more passes, probably let it run for a full 12 hours but so far nothing and it's been running for 6 hours.

FC360

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I have now installed my old Athlong 630 onto my new motherboard and it's working perfectly fine, am I correct in assuming this would mean the new cpu is faulty? I checked the motherboard cpu support list and it is listed on it with the bios version I have installed.