Sign in with
Your question

Msi Lightning 7970 on OCZ 600w sxs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 12:01:28 PM

Hello,
Will OCZ 600w sxs :
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/ocz_ste...

have enough juice to power i5 2500k @ 4.6 ghz and MSI Lightning 7970 oc'ed @ 1250 core?

Thank you in advance, much appriciated :) 

August 29, 2012 12:07:27 PM

You should be OK... I just wouldn't recommend running power stress tests like Furmark, which cause the Lightning's power draw to go absolutely crazy (I wouldn't be surprised if you could push it over 400W in furmark when overclocked, honestly). Personally, I like to have a bit of overkill on my power supply, so I would probably want a nice 700 or 750W unit, but you should be good to go with that 600W model.

The Lightning can easily suck up 350W+ of power when overclocked:

However, during typical use it stays more in the normal 200-250W range:
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 12:38:26 PM

Lol... well i won't argue with BigMack70 or his solid proof especially about that card and what not but i highly suggest you get a 750W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and for the price just why the hell not ?It's not Modular whoop de doo jk lol. ;) 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 12:56:41 PM

600 watts will be plenty if you are using 1 dvd and 1 HDD +1 SSD and couple fans.
August 29, 2012 1:03:05 PM

I had same opinion but i wanted to hear from someone else.
It's going to be little streched but I'll just go with this PSU because my budget
is a bit tight after purchasing Lightning baby.

Shame i don't live in USA, prices in Croatia are disgrace to be honest.
In the future probably better PSU and another 7970 will sit in my case :) 

Thank you for quick replies.
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 4:09:20 PM

What you pay for in hardware over there you make up for in internet speeds and costs.
August 29, 2012 4:20:59 PM

Having played with Lightnings the require only the top quality hardware if you are into overclocking them. OCZ is alright though I wouldn't be doing any extreme clocking on that unit, don't trust the continuous supply.

Just a question, if you are not a serious overclocker why you rolling in the lightnings basically they cost a lot but they are overclockers toys, if you are just gaming then rather get another HD 7970 or Ghz Edition card.
August 30, 2012 6:41:18 AM

spentshells said:
What you pay for in hardware over there you make up for in internet speeds and costs.

Not really, check broadband offers in Croatia.
August 30, 2012 6:46:29 AM

sarinaide said:
Having played with Lightnings the require only the top quality hardware if you are into overclocking them. OCZ is alright though I wouldn't be doing any extreme clocking on that unit, don't trust the continuous supply.

Just a question, if you are not a serious overclocker why you rolling in the lightnings basically they cost a lot but they are overclockers toys, if you are just gaming then rather get another HD 7970 or Ghz Edition card.

By pure chance i am getting Lightning for the lower price than Ghz edition.
I am overclocker and i love toys. If i had 150$ to spare atm for quality PSU here in Croatia i wouldn't thought twice.
I'll roll with what i have. :D 
August 30, 2012 6:51:11 AM

High end cards like Lightning cost around 4k kunas - 530 euros - 660 USD and lower are models are not much cheaper.
For example, 2mb/s adsl is 20 euros, and that's starter pack with phone without anything spent, but that's offtopic.

Anyway thank you all for replies, very much appriciated. ;) 
August 30, 2012 7:02:12 AM

Lightnings are great cards but like all highend components require continous power, I am sure you will be alright just don't go seriously overboard with the 1.30 mV clocks, you will likely see the lights go out.
August 30, 2012 7:11:48 AM

Yeah, i will not push it extremely.
When i decide to put some really heavy oc on her, i'll probably first buy new PSU.

This OCZ what i have is over 3 years old.
I read in some review that this PSU shutdown at around 700W+, i'll be carefull.
!