New lenovo, cheap price, oddly great gaming performance so far

smokestakz

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
got this lenovo idea pad last weekend (ideapad ...amd a6 4400m (2.7 dc) w/ radeon 7520hd, 4gigs ddr3)....now i knew it would be fast but no a10 or ci7...and ive yet to throw the second 4gig stick in it yet and what i really bought it for was for my music production because it has dolby pro audio sound processing...but back to the gaming....i snagged a copy of sniper elite 2 cuz i wanted to try it (and no, i dont kno how this game compares to the best graphics of other games because i havent gamed on a pc in years) but im playing it with the settings at ULTRA in every option and its running phenomenally....im not complaining by any means but if my 360$ machine can spit out gfx this clean at such impecable framerates, whats the point of these 1000$+ "gaming built" machines...?....i mean i am going to boost the 4 gigs up to 8gigs to ensure my memory is always sufficient but thats only a 25$ upgrade....learn me some things yall cuz ive been out of the pc gaming community for about six years and this "bargain laptop" seems great...

BreadWhistle

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Because that game isn't very demanding at all. How many frames are you getting?

I'll tell you right now that if you try to play BF3 or ArmA II on the PC, it's not happening. That GPU is butt. It's literally the first time I've heard of it, so maybe it may be alright on a laptop though.

The reason for a $1000 desktop is for optimal performance and some overclocking, which most of the time is unnecessary Let's put the budget down to $700. It will get you this with $40 to spare.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: Biostar TZ77B ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $659.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
This nowadays is your basic good gaming PC build.

These are the recommended system requirements for Sniper Elite 2

PROCESSOR: Dual-core CPU with SSE3 (Intel® Pentium® D 3GHz / AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200) or better
VIDEO CARD: Microsoft® DirectX® 10.0 compatible graphics card with 256 MB of memory (NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 series / ATI Radeon™ HD 3870) or better
MEMORY 2GB system memory

What I underlined are the important parts of this. Literally any old PC could run this game half decent. Now let's see the requirements for BF3

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
Graphics card memory: 1 GB

Big difference huh? So that explains why your laptop can play SE2 so fluidly, and that is why a lot of people invest so much into their PC.