Upgrading my computer

darksnake23

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
Hello,
I have asked once before but got answer like i need to buy a new computer, but i believe mine deserves a chance. So here are my computers specs as far as i know. If anyone would like to give helpful information on how to upgrade it and what would be good parts for it i would appreciate it.
So without further adu:
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Ram: 2 GB
Video Card: GeForce 6100 nForce 405
Disk Space: 37 out of 148GB
Power supply: No idea but its 300W.
If you need any more information don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you in advance.

ckholt83

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with the others. It's not worth injecting money into that old husk, you're gonna need to upgrade pretty much every single component / start completely fresh.

I guess you could probably keep your DVD drive?

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Here is what you need for new parts, CPU/GPU/HD/PSU/RAM/Mobo with a new build. If you really wanted to you could reuse the HD but honestly that small of a HD I wouldn't and rather pay a little bit to get something faster as that will make your system feel a lot snapier.

The dual core you have is old, same with mobo. GPU is old and slow as well. You get the idea.

PSU has to go, no question about prebuilt PSU's are typically cheap and are just barely enough to power stock components, so that is the first thing that needs to be replaced.

What you can do though is probably use the case if it uses normal mobo's (dells normally are proprietary from what I recall) and the optical drive, and I would honestly use that HD as a backup since it already is a few years old and has some use on it.

Since you didn't define what you wanted for a new PC I am just going to assume your a average computer user and want something new. I would go with one of the new APU's (CPU/GPU on cpu chip itself) with around 4-8gb ram and a SSD. All of which can be bought quite cheap now days.

Or if you don't max your computer out or ever put it under load you can just drop in another 2gb ram and a ssd and call it a day. Thats what I would do if I just used the thing for web browsing. I have a family member with the same proccesor I believe running Vista and up until a few weeks ago when they decided to do something stupid it ran great and just as good as my OC 3ghz e2180 and any quad. 6, 8 core pc I've been on for web browsing.

Though if you want to ever play HD video you need a new video card, at which point your just better off paying a little bit more and buying a cheap APU so you have a fast CPU as well along with the hardware acceleration for HD video, etc.

But come back and tell use what the use and budget is for this.

darksnake23

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I sort of figured it would be more costly to just upgrade but ive grown accustomed to this piece of trash :) but Things come and go... So i will probably just get a new computer. I was looking for something that play games at least medium to well ability. I figured i would get at least a Geforce 550 ti for a graphics card but the rest was up to price and availability.