My PC fans turn on then instantly off. Help.

drubsam103

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
The other night I was playing War Thunder and suddenly my PC shuts down. I didn't think much of it because an electrician was over earlier so I thought the power went out. I decided to go to sleep and I come home from school the next day and my family is telling me the computer isn't turning on at all.
My specs:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Intel i5 3570K + Hyper 212
Zotac GTX 570
8 GB Kingston Hyper X
Diablotek 675w PSU

I'm thinking its my PSU but after reading some other people's problems, it could also be the CPU. I am in no way a tech expert on any of this. If you guys could please help me out that would be great thanks.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
test the PSU. that's probably what it is. It's easy, I'm not googling it for you, but it's called the paperclip test. Basically, disconnect all the connected cables of the PSU. Bridge the green and any of black wires in the main power cable with an unwound paperclip. Plug in 1 fan. Plug the PSU into a wall, and flip the power on. if the fan turns on, it works, if not, it's dead.

drubsam103

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah I just tested it with a paperclip. Same result. I thought that was the problem. After looking a PSUs yesterday, would the Corsair HX850 80+ suffice?
I'm planning on SLIing my 570 in the near future.