Is this gaming pc any good ? U$ 699

torde38a96

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Hello !

let me warn you, I HAVE ZERO CLUE ABOUT COMPUTER PARTS AND COMPABILITY BUT I found this PC on CyperPower (no, I'm not screaming just trying to avoid misunderstandings early on ;) ) http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Scorpius_8000/

details:
*BASE_PRICE: [+699]
Case: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)
Laser Engraving: None
Laser Engraving Message:
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.30 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
Motherboard: * [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Chipset Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ Touch Bios, Ultra Durable 2, On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
Freebies: None
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Power Supply Upgrade: 430 Watts - Corsair CX430 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (FREE Upgrade To 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive Only))
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: None
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
Mouse Pad: None
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
Video Camera: None
Headset: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
IEEE1394 Card: None
Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USB Port: None
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: None

What confuses me is that Motherboard says USB3.0 but further down it says USB Port: None. Can you tell me what that means ?

I want to work with the PC, use a wireless printer with it / wireless lan and 2 monitors !!! (do I need additional gadgets to do that ? )

Games: I'm not a hardcore gamer but would like to play e.g.

Total War: Shogun 2 Recommended System Requirements
CPU - 2nd Generation Intel® CoreTMi5 processor (or greater), or AMD equivalent
MEMORY - 2GB RAM (XP), 4GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
VIDEO - AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series graphics cards or equivalent DirectX 11 compatible graphics card
OTHER DETAILS - 1280×1024 minimum screen resolution
Total War: Shogun 2 Recommended System Requirements
and similar.

Can you tell me if Skyrim would run on it ?
Skyrim Recommended System Requirements
CPU: quad-core Intel/AMD
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 6GB hard disk space
GFX RAM: DX9 video card with 1 GB
GFX: GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher
Audio: DX compatible sound card

Is this PC worth its price, do the parts 'work together' and will it do what I want it to perform ?
The web page allows to exchange of parts, if you think parts should be exchanged you could do that and copy paste the detail list as I did :ange:

Thanks for your time and help.

By the way, comments like "you should try company xyz" do not help at all as that would leave me with the same problem only exchange the company so no advertisement please.

Solution
FPS is frame rates per second, basically a measure of how fast you can play a game. Lower FPS shows lagging, but both builds are at playable frame rates. CPU, wise I like the Intel 3570K but the video card is just atrocious for modern gaming(GT640). If you are bound to an AMD system then go for the FX 8350, I believe its the fastest out of all the FX series CPUs.

In addition, if you do not know how to build a computer its not too hard, I am only 16 and have built many computers that work flawlessly. There are online tutorials for first timers but basically all your doing is connecting things in the right spot after you mount the motherboard and power supply.

Good Luck,

Socialfox :)

socialfox

Distinguished
I would say its an okay computer, the video card is a solid one and I call the HD 7770 the entry into modern day gaming since it can play all those new games but its not the best. Though I dislike the processor, I find it to be a bit weak. The FX 6100 is actually a tri core with just six threads so basically its better than a normal AMD tri-core Cpu but worse than a quad core. If it is possible you should change the CPU for another one such as the Thuban Phenom series or at least the Deneb Phenoms. You would get much better performance at the same or lesser price of the FX-6100's value.

In essence, your computer will be great for skyrim but if you do keep the FX-6100 then overclock that to close the performance gap between it and quad cores. Also, I am positive that all motherboards have USB ports so it probably refers to something else or possibly a typo.

Lastly, my opinion on this computer is that its not really worth the money since you can build a computer from scratch and buy the parts separate and have it for less than that. If you are worrying about compatibility you can always send me a private message and I will be happy to assist you in ensuring compatibility of your custom build.

Good Luck,

devilofdeaths

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
why are you buying from a website just build you own because this build will cost ~$600 if you buy it yourself and don't you dare tell me that you don't know how to because all that a computer is.is lego's you just put the part where it needs to go and youtube has great guides to build a computer

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
It's an ok computer but you can do better building one from scratch. Building one from scratch if you ask for help here to just make sure parts are compatable is quite easy. If it fits, it goes there, thats 95% of what goes on. The rest is to avoid static discharge, so touch the computer case (metal) to discharge yourself THAN touch the part, rinse and repeat. Than there are tricks to instal CPU heatsink and thats about all the complicated stuff in terms of hardware.

In software it's instaling the OS, which is easy now days you pop in the DVD and click "yes" to terms of service, and continue and fill in a few things and your done. Than instal drivers, and software.

Probably made it sound a bit more complicated than it is, but if you look it up online you see how easy it is. All the complicated stuff dealing with compatibility and which parts work best we as a community will help out with. (If you run into an issue just ask for help, most of us have no problems with that.)

Still scares you, go to a local computer shop (NOT best buy, geek squad is full of idiots and overcharge. A real computer shop, kind of mom and pop owned place) and ask them if they will do this for you and how much they charge. Or if they sell all the parts, ask them what they would build for you, do all this and price and come back here and ask if it is a good deal. Most smaller businesses I know of dealing with this will provide a significantly better support than those large busnesses as they value repeat customers and word of mouth of what you tell people about them as they can't have multi million dollar advertising to get new customers so their main focus is keeping customers happy and their reputation.

torde38a96

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
First of all WOW you guys are quick ! Thanks a lot !

I had a look at a you tube video of how to build your own pc but... I'm seriously challenged in this regard. Would try it if one of you would be my neighbour and I could ask for help ;) but that's not likely.

@ Socialfox:
here are the CPU options I can choose from:
AMD FX-8150 3.60 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [Halloween Mega Sale - Free upgrade from AMD FX-8120] [+70]

AMD FX-8120 3.10 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+70]

AMD FX-6100 3.30 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [Halloween Mega Sale! FREE upgrade from FX-4100]

AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+0]

NEW AMD FX Processors

AMD FX-8350 4.00 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+126]

AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+90]

AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+56]

AMD FX-4300 3.80 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+20]

Any suggestions regarding "...If it is possible you should change the CPU for another one..."

Now I feel kind of sad that I don't know how to build a pc :(

torde38a96

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
One thing I have to mention, I have to ship the PC from the US to my country of residence. Do you think that's a bad idea ? Is the risk of damages very high ?

I thought of paying for the highest packing quality.

Guess shipping parts would be safer...

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Sorry but I can agree with some of the advice you are getting but not all of it.

First, for you, Google is your friend. i.e. type something in like "(name of part) review" and you will get more hits than you can read in a day and can determine if a part is worth the price or not.

Second, Phenom is not a viable option right now unless you already own a computer and are looking for an upgrade and then only maybe. It is extremely hard to find Phenom x6 processors anymore and the Phenom x4 processors are only viable for new gaming machines not new workstations.

Third, I would not advise to go to a 'mom and pop' shop to buy parts. It will help their business but you will be overcharged simply because they cannot compete with the prices of the larger, online stores. That being said there are a few things that I do not buy online: 1. Monitors. They are too fragile and if one breaks during shipping you will quickly pay more in shipping than what it costs to buy locally. 2. Cases. straight up they cost way too much money to ship.
I will agree that 'mom and pop' shops will give you much better service that any best buy or geek squad will.

My advice: If you want a well rounded machine pay the extra amount and go with the mid-level intel machine. Something along the i5 series is the best bang for your buck right now.

Feel free to PM me if you need more advice.

torde38a96

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Here same price range with Intel. I don't care if Intel or AMD just want someting nice.

Comment regarding damages to screen makes sence. Let's say I have a good deal for the tower - high damage risk if send assembled ?

*BASE_PRICE: [+695]
Case: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)
Laser Engraving: None
Laser Engraving Message:
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: None
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
Motherboard: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified)
Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: None
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Power Supply Upgrade: 430 Watts - Corsair CX430 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (FREE Upgrade To 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive Only))
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: None
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: None
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
Mouse Pad: None
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
Video Camera: None
Headset: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
IEEE1394 Card: None
Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USB Port: None
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

socialfox

Distinguished
FPS is frame rates per second, basically a measure of how fast you can play a game. Lower FPS shows lagging, but both builds are at playable frame rates. CPU, wise I like the Intel 3570K but the video card is just atrocious for modern gaming(GT640). If you are bound to an AMD system then go for the FX 8350, I believe its the fastest out of all the FX series CPUs.

In addition, if you do not know how to build a computer its not too hard, I am only 16 and have built many computers that work flawlessly. There are online tutorials for first timers but basically all your doing is connecting things in the right spot after you mount the motherboard and power supply.

Good Luck,

Solution

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I agree with socialfox, that Intel machine is a good one for the price considering that the processor/mobo combo alone is worth more than $300. I also agree that the graphics card is seriously underpowered and that is why you are seeing the difference in FPS. If you put an equivalent GPU into both systems the FPS would be approximately equal.

All-in-all I do think that is a pretty good deal, you are getting a solid processor and mobo, a 2TB HDD, plus a pretty good mouse/keyboard combo. If it were me I would probably sell the graphics card and buy a better one but if you want to go top shelf on graphics you may want to buy a PSU that can handle more wattage.

torde38a96

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I think I would like to go with Intel. Changed the graphic card and it said it causes watt issues....
I will check the build your own videos and make a dicision next month.

Thanks a lot for your time and sharing expertise !