Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice on a semi high end build

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2012 3:01:00 AM

Ok, need advise on this build. This will be my first actual build from scratch although I have been swapping on my old comp throughout the years.

AMD FX-8350 FX-Series Eight-Core Processor Edition
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX
Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 VN300M1W2N No PS Full Tower Case
Diamond AMD Radeon HD 7970 (x2)
Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB (4x4GB) DDR3 2133 MHz
OCZ Technology 256GB Agility 4 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (x2 RAID 0)
Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
--and leds, fan controllers, etc...

I don't know if the CPU will be able to support the ram. Any other advise is greatly appreciated.
October 25, 2012 3:12:24 AM

If you're worried about compatibility and prices, you may want to use this website to help make sure about both. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Just plug the parts in and it should tell you if there's something that's incompatible.
m
l
October 25, 2012 3:23:18 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.05 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($224.70 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($263.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($112.22 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1146.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Take a look at this build. im not sure of your budget though
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2012 3:32:32 AM

Shottah,

You didn't state your desired outcome or how you plan to use this machine. Wondering why you chose AMD over Intel. It's a religious thing with many... I happen to strongly prefer Intel. Disclosure: I own a LOT of Intel stock :) 

Your MOBO choice looks quite good though. I've had some bad experiences with Intel MOBOs. So far, ASUS has treated me very well. 4x4GB=16 GB or ram, right? With four slots, if you get two 8GB sticks, you'll have room to add two more later on if you like. Unless you meant to say 4x8GB.

Pretty much all of the vendors have compatibility charts especially with regard to memory requirements.
m
l
October 25, 2012 3:51:50 AM

jones0610 said:
Shottah,

You didn't state your desired outcome or how you plan to use this machine. Wondering why you chose AMD over Intel. It's a religious thing with many... I happen to strongly prefer Intel. Disclosure: I own a LOT of Intel stock :) 

Your MOBO choice looks quite good though. I've had some bad experiences with Intel MOBOs. So far, ASUS has treated me very well. 4x4GB=16 GB or ram, right? With four slots, if you get two 8GB sticks, you'll have room to add two more later on if you like. Unless you meant to say 4x8GB.

Pretty much all of the vendors have compatibility charts especially with regard to memory requirements.

Jones,

I am not really bias when it comes to intel and amd. The FX 8350 is very new on the market, in fact it came out this week and looks promising. Its just bad timing. I was ready to do a new build and amd made that release, i probably would have gone intel but this is why I made this post. I am open to advise. 4x4 is right. I did that cause I know that the old 8150 had issues with 32gib 2133's and I am not sure about this new one. 16 should be good for now until I know for sure 32 would do. I do a lot of things with my computer but I think this build is a little too much for those things other than the gaming side. It's more to save for the future, might seems pricey now but it should last in time to come.
m
l
October 25, 2012 3:51:53 AM

Go with a 3570k, it outperforms the 8350 in nearly all benchmarks (The ones it loses to the 8350 is in extreme rendering).
Gaming build correct?

Yeah, the 3570k will do everything you want it to.
m
l
October 25, 2012 3:52:16 AM

macgreen said:
If you're worried about compatibility and prices, you may want to use this website to help make sure about both. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Just plug the parts in and it should tell you if there's something that's incompatible.

Macgreen,

Thanks for the link, highly useful.
m
l
October 25, 2012 4:11:45 AM

Kiowa789 said:
Go with a 3570k, it outperforms the 8350 in nearly all benchmarks (The ones it loses to the 8350 is in extreme rendering).
Gaming build correct?

Yeah, the 3570k will do everything you want it to.

Kiowa,

Good advise, I just did a little research since you are the second one mentioning the 3570k ( and third when it comes to intel in general), the 3570k seems to be a great processor but after looking over the lastest reviews, it seems that the 8350 is more balanced though the 3570k can be tweeked extremely to stand out. Also, in the same price range. But, I will continue to look into it.
m
l
October 25, 2012 4:33:02 AM

It really would be helpful to know what your intended usage is. Are you going to be video editing / CAD / rendering type stuff, or mostly gaming?

If you're primarily gaming, an i5 will serve you better. If rendering, i7 is the way to go as long as it will fit in your budget. The 8350 is a definite improvement over bulldozer, but its strengths put it in a bit of an awkward position. It would certainly do the job, so if you're partial to AMD then by all means, but otherwise an Ivy Bridge is probably optimal.

Also doubt you'd see much improvement in paying the premium for 2133MHz RAM over 1600. Agility is OCZ's budget SSD line, not the best quality; I'd stick to a Vertex4 if you want to go OCZ, or swap to a Samsung 830 / Crucial M4 instead.

I've never used an H100, but I've heard plenty of negative feedback about it. Lots of folks will tell you that you're better of going with a quality air solution like the Noctua NH-D14, and that's only necessary if you're doing some hefty overclocks. If you are going for a more reasonable OC, something like a Hyper212 EVO would be an effective cooler for a lot less money.
m
l
!