Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My First Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2012 3:33:46 AM

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and you guys have already helped me a lot. So I finished picking the parts to my first build and wanted to get your thoughts plus answers to a few questions that I had.

My Build

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP
GPU: PowerColor AX7770 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Storage: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Case(PSU and Fan): RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WRP
Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS247H-P
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard
Mouse: RAZER Naga Molten RZ01-00280500-R3M1

Thanks for all your help in advance.

More about : gaming build

October 25, 2012 3:41:51 AM

save money on RAM. get 8gb as that is still more than any game will need. Use the saved money to get a 7770 or a gtx 650ti.
October 25, 2012 3:44:45 AM

1. Newegg's sales suck nowadays. I don't find myself buying any thing from them anymore, especially on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. They just sell stuff they have on sale everyday on their Shell Shocker.

2. I'd stick with Windows 7 for now.

3. You should get an SSD as well. That WD Blue will bottleneck your build.
Also, my experience with the MS Sidewinder keyboard isn't good. My keys started to get stuck within a month. It was a cheap keyboard so I didn't bother with the warranty.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

October 25, 2012 3:57:38 AM

I suggest sticking with Windows 7 as well. Win 8 is looking to be like the next Vista.

Your build is a bit on the low-end, but it should serve you well for 2-3 years.
You'll probably need a video card upgrade anytime soon though.

A few comments.
- There's no point in the z75 with a locked CPU. Get the ASRock B75 PRO3 or H77 Pro4/MVP instead.
- Get this HDD instead. It's the fastest one in the market so far, and it's the same price.
- +1 on the SSD suggestion if you can squeeze it in the budget, it can wait 'til you get the money for it though.
- +1 on the 8gb of RAM. You won't even max that with your system usage.
- I agree you should at least try to get a 7770. Though the 7750 can play games fairly.
- I wouldn't trust PSUs that come free with the case, they are usually bad quality. Please consider buying discrete ones from reputable brands or you're risking your components frying.
October 25, 2012 4:04:00 AM

^ Everything they said.
October 25, 2012 4:04:20 AM

That looks like a pretty good setup. As tiny voices said, 16GB is probably overkill, you might be better off putting the extra money toward a more powerful GPU. Anyways, newegg does normally have a pretty big cyber monday sale. You should be able to pick up 8GB DDR3 1600 for $30 or less, and there might be a sale on your CPU. I didn't really pay too much attention last year (all I bought was some RAM) but it might be worth waiting if you want to save $20-40.

I personally think you should stick with win. 7, it's a mature OS that's proven very stable and is compatible with practically everything. Windows 8 hasn't even been released yet, and will probably have its fair share of bugs when it comes out. Whether you like the whole tiled desktop thing is a personal preference (I don't care for it).

This computer should run for at least 10 years as long as you treat it right (no crazy overclocks, clean out dust, etc.). My old pentium mmx rig from 1996 is still running... but as far as being a usable gaming PC... as long as you are fine not being on the front of the technological curve you should be good for at least 3-4 years. You'll still be able to play any games that come out by then (hopefully) but not on high settings.

Hope I helped
October 25, 2012 4:53:18 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I updated the OP with the changes.
  • I downgraded to 8gb RAM and used the money for a better graphics card, the 7770.
  • I'm going to stick with Windows 7 for my OS.
  • I plan on getting an SSD eventually to run my OS off of but I'm going to wait a little bit until I save up some more money.
  • On newegg the keyboard got great reviews so you might have just gotten a bad one. So I'm going to get it and hope that I don't.
  • Thanks excella I went with the ASRock and HDD that you showed me.
  • I will work on trying to find a good power source sometime tomorrow.
  • Thanks for the tips edge.
    October 25, 2012 5:06:17 AM
    October 25, 2012 10:56:18 PM

Best answer selected by themadjoker.
    !