AMD Gaming rig. ~800$ CANADA

Building a gaming pc for a friend
This is what I have (never made a AMD gaming PC) Thoughts??
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/lma0

Approximate Purchase Date: MID Nov. - early Dec.

Budget Range: 800$ Canadian. (so that it equals to about 1000 with 15% taxes and)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, maybe some editing.

Are you buying a monitor: No


Parts to Upgrade: Need everything but a screen and OS

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca NCIX or anything that allows debit purchase online

Location: Montreal QC Canada

Parts Preferences: AMD (but feel free to make an Intel equivalent in price)

Overclocking:Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: no real preference but would like atleast 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: Wants a Asus 660 gpu
12 answers Last reply
More about gaming canada
  1. You're paying too much for the mobo, and not too much on the CPU and GPU. :P

    Here's a revised build, more powerful GPU and CPU.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Memory Express)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ NCIX)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($271.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $726.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    The CPU is unlocked, feel free to add a CPU cooler if you're gonna OC for higher performance.

    The PSU is cheaper than the one you chose(but that's because of rebates), and it's 750w, so you have the option to add another card in the future for SLI/Crossfire.

    You can opt to add a 128gb SSD, but that'll go overbudget a bit.
    64gb could probably fit, but I won't really suggest that as it's too small and you'll find it insufficient in a few months.

    The SSD can wait imo. Just get it when you have the cash for it.
  2. chadk24 said:
    Building a gaming pc for a friend
    This is what I have (never made a AMD gaming PC) Thoughts??
    http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/lma0

    Approximate Purchase Date: MID Nov. - early Dec.

    Budget Range: 800$ Canadian. (so that it equals to about 1000 with 15% taxes and)

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, maybe some editing.

    Are you buying a monitor: No


    Parts to Upgrade: Need everything but a screen and OS

    Do you need to buy OS: No

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca NCIX or anything that allows debit purchase online

    Location: Montreal QC Canada

    Parts Preferences: AMD (but feel free to make an Intel equivalent in price)

    Overclocking:Maybe

    SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

    Your Monitor Resolution: no real preference but would like atleast 1920 x 1080

    Additional Comments: Wants a Asus 660 gpu


    The FX-4100 is pretty butt ugly for gaming. The FX-4300 is a bit better but is still barely a match for an Intel-i3 in most applications.

    Somethingfish posted two good Intel builds, check those out.
  3. Pinhedd said:
    The FX-4100 is pretty butt ugly for gaming. The FX-4300 is a bit better but is still barely a match for an Intel-i3 in most applications.

    Somethingfish posted two good Intel builds, check those out.



    I do wish you intel experts would actually read the benchmarks and understand them

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4170-core-i3-3220-benchmarks,3314.html

    The FX 4300 will out perform the 4170 in applications and games
    There is no intel i3 worth buying for anyone interested in performance
  4. excella1221 said:


    +1

    but I got the right article
    The 4170 is idential silicon to the 4100 and yu can OC a 4100 to higher than 4170 speeds even using the stock cooler

    The 4300 is going to match or exceed the 4170 everywhere
    so its easy to work out intels best dual cores cant keep up anywhere except in older DX9 games
  5. Fair point. :)
  6. +1 for somethingfishy

    I like his FX 8350 build.. (balanced) 7870 is good enough for those resolution
    But i will like to change it to FX 8320 and then O.C it to 8350 level..
  7. These builds all seem great what is the best AMD cpu out right now (gaming wise) Also this is not for me it's for a friend and he says he wont be over clocking and wants the cheapest best build he can get that's why I thought amd might be better for him because its cheaper. He wants something that will be almost equivalent with the build I have which is
    I5 3570K
    CM Hyper 212 evo
    Asrock Z77extreme4
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 2x4gb
    Crucial M4 128
    Asus gtx660 2gb
    HAF 912 case
    OCZ fatal1ty 750W (I know not the greatest but the only modular 750W the store had)
    SO anything that will be like this and cost about 800-850$ would be great
    Again I only thought of AMD based on pricee and he had no preference.
  8. chadk24 said:
    These builds all seem great what is the best AMD cpu out right now (gaming wise) Also this is not for me it's for a friend and he says he wont be over clocking and wants the cheapest best build he can get that's why I thought amd might be better for him because its cheaper. He wants something that will be almost equivalent with the build I have which is
    I5 3570K
    CM Hyper 212 evo
    Asrock Z77extreme4
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 2x4gb
    Crucial M4 128
    Asus gtx660 2gb
    HAF 912 case
    OCZ fatal1ty 750W (I know not the greatest but the only modular 750W the store had)
    SO anything that will be like this and cost about 800-850$ would be great
    Again I only thought of AMD based on pricee and he had no preference.


    the amd fx 8320 is a great cpu

    Here is an Intel build that should preform close to yours. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lquT
  9. somethingfishy said:
    the amd fx 8320 is a great cpu

    Here is an Intel build that should preform close to yours. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lquT


    Seems good I'll check if he's willing to put up the extra 50$ or so and get a i5 3570k instead of the one you suggested just in case he ever wants to OC then all he will need is a heatsink later on, seeing how the stock fan is good if you stay at stock levels.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming AMD Systems