Nvidia 660ti

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Intel i7
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 6:06:21 PM

Will the Nvidia 660ti be bottlenecked by the i7-3770? If not which graphics card goes well in performane with the i7-3700. If so in which occasions and will it be by a lot?

Update- I do play WOW and i hear its CPU intensive. Would u still recomment i5-3570K or the i7-3770. I dont want to buy a GPU that outperforms the CPU by a lot. Thanks.

More about : nvidia 660ti

August 29, 2012 6:37:05 PM

Nope, that card is fine! Any graphics card within your budget will fit with that card; it won't bottleneck much of anything!
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 6:46:53 PM

3770 or 3770K? When gaming on CPU intensive games such as Battlefield 3 mutliplayer you might be CPU bottlenecked by the lack of overclocking headroom of a non-K.

Also, the i7's hyperthreading DOESN"T HELP YOU IN GAMING, make sure you turn hyperthreading off when gaming because few game can utlize that many cores thus result in a 5-10% performance drop when you have hyperthreading on while gaming.

From Techreport's analysis of Gaming CPU, click the picture for the direct link.

If you are focused on gaming, get a $110 cheaper i5-3570K and spend that money on 670 or a upgrade elsewhere. If you need the i7 for video encoding etc, make sure you turn hyper threading off before you game.
Related resources
August 29, 2012 7:42:40 PM

I do play WOW and i hear its CPU intensive. Would u still recomment i5-3570K or the i7-3770. I dont want to buy a GPU that outperforms the CPU by a lot. Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 7:47:25 PM

Hyperthreading will not decrease your gaming performance, however most games do not utilize 8 cores so at the same time it won't help anything.
For this reason the 3570k is recommended as the top-of-the-line gaming cpu, as it is nearly the same as the 3770k and $100 cheaper.

The 660 ti is a great pair with the 3570k. You'd need to be using SLI on gtx 670s before you see a graphics card configuration be bottlenecked by the cpu. For your purposes it sounds like a great idea to get a 660 ti and a 3570k.
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 7:55:09 PM

Psyclops said:
I do play WOW and i hear its CPU intensive. Would u still recomment i5-3570K or the i7-3770. I dont want to buy a GPU that outperforms the CPU by a lot. Thanks.

3570K will give you everything you need for -$100, pretty much a no brainer.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 186 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 8:23:24 PM

I agree with sherlockwing @ OP i5-3570K + 670 is what i would personally get if i was you. The reason a 670 is because it's best bang for buck the 660 ti is great but at it's current price it's a bad deal imo.
August 29, 2012 8:28:03 PM

I don't understand concerns about "bottlenecking". No matter what you do something is always slowest. It's like the weakest link in a chain. If you make it stronger then something else becomes weakest. Worry about something you can control. Build the fastest most powerful computer you can afford and enjoy it.
August 29, 2012 8:33:57 PM

ram1009 said:
I don't understand concerns about "bottlenecking". No matter what you do something is always slowest. It's like the weakest link in a chain. If you make it stronger then something else becomes weakest. Worry about something you can control. Build the fastest most powerful computer you can afford and enjoy it.

The concern is that you want to know what is your bottleneck so you don't spend extra money on a better product that would be bottlenecked. For example. If he had a Pentium 4 CPU, it wouldn't make sense to buy a GTX 690. Thats completely overkill. Same concept, just a smaller price difference.
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 8:45:40 PM

Building a computer is all about balancing components towards a specific price range.
It would be helpful to know what other components you are considering or already have and your total upgrade budget to determine the best GPU and CPU for you.
!