Sign in with
Your question

Dell Inspiron 530S card choices?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 6:08:26 PM

Pretty sure I need a new card.My computer won't turn on unless the NVDIA driver is disabled.I don't watch movies,just use use my computer for general use and to store pictures. I am told to buy the plug-in kind because mine is on the mother board? Also told to buy NVDIA or AMD? I have help to install.
Related resources
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 7:39:19 PM

Yep, saw that one to, 10 bucks for a card, great !

Only less happy with the power consumption compared to the 5450 thats why i was waiting for the psu specs.
August 29, 2012 8:06:54 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Or for even $5 less ; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This one uses a bit more power so you should check your powersupply if you have about 16-18 amperes on the 12V rail. This should be on the side of the powersupply ( in your casing )

It says: 250w max + 5v 18 A + 3.3 11A
OUTPUT- 12V/17A
Not sure if this is what you need? I have an Inspiron 530s desktop
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 8:14:23 PM

Ok thats enough for the 5450 / 210 ( just ), not sure though about the 8400. It might work but i just don't know. For $5 i wouldn't risk it.

Btw ; not knowing if your motherboard has a 1.0 or 2.0 version pci-e the 210 would be the safest choice according to compatibility.
August 29, 2012 8:28:23 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Ok thats enough for the 5450 / 210 ( just ), not sure though about the 8400. It might work but i just don't know. For $5 i wouldn't risk it.

Btw ; not knowing if your motherboard has a 1.0 or 2.0 version pci-e the 210 would be the safest choice according to compatibility.

Is there a way to tell if it's 1.0 or 2.0? I have my computer opened. Also,can you tell me if my video card being that it's on the motherboard still needs a driver? I am getting confused with a lot of info. Microsoft chat told me the wrong NVDIA driver was installed and gave me another link but the update failed,I was going to try and find that link one more time before I buy a card if they were correct in saying it was the correct display driver and IF I my computer really needs it. I started fresh with a new hard drive and was having a heck of a time with the updates until I disabled NVDIA driver but my computer is blurry.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 10:44:16 PM

Could you give the link for the driver you used ?
August 30, 2012 3:23:40 AM

I don't have the link now but it reinstalled itself and under device manager it's the NVDIA GFORCE 8300 GS. It'sprompting me to restart,should I try again? I can always start it in safe mode like I've been doing and then disable it. I don't know where else to look for it in the computer. Thanks for your time!
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 9:11:23 AM

Huh, that's not an integrated card.

Which 530 do you have ? This one ; http://www.pcworld.com/product/31068/dell_inspiron_530.... or this one ; http://www.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://www.elcheapos...

One has the 8400 gs, the other one has an video card chip on the motherboard.

If you have the 530S the 8400gs driver won't work. I think you need something from here then ; http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphic... http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=... ; depending on your os.
August 30, 2012 3:37:30 PM

I have the INSPIRON 530 S. I ran the driver utility and it showed:
NVDIA GFORCE 8300 GS 8.17.13.142 UNKNOWN OR UNSUPPORTED. CONTACT MANUFACTURER FOR POSSIBLE UPDATES.

THEN I clicked on :

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Why does the Intel® Driver Update Utility not recognize an Intel device on my system?
Intel provides generic versions of software and drivers. If your computer manufacturer altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes the Intel® Driver Update Utility may not recognize the device.

If I contact Dell they will charge me since I'm out of warranty. Is there any way to find the right one and download it?
August 30, 2012 5:05:37 PM

It says my system doesn't meet the requirements and so it won't download.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 5:16:36 PM

Out of ideas then i'm afraid.

Did you try the 8300 gs drivers and what happened then ?
a c 190 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 5:56:14 PM

Well if he is running an 8300GS, I would think an 8400GS might work. And just go to the Nvidia page and try the latest drivers.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 6:16:05 PM

discrete ? euh, dedicated. what ever...
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 6:17:16 PM

According to the tech specs and assuming there isn't a card put in later on, it should have only the on board.

I was thinking of asking to open the case and see if there is a discrete card placed in it.

But trying the drivers could also provide an answer so was waiting for that. :) 
a c 190 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 6:19:50 PM

I think it was a discrete card when made, but it was just OEM.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 6:41:44 PM

Aha.
Anyway, try the 8300/8400 driver or open your case and see if there is a video card in it.

August 30, 2012 7:47:31 PM

2769947,22,951028 said:
Aha.
Anyway, try the 8300/8400 driver or open your case and see if there is a video card in it.[/quotemsg

The NVDIA driver is listed and says it's up to date.When I enable it my monitor turns off and can't get into computer and modem makes a loud noise so I have to turn computer off manually and restart in safe mode and disable NVIDIA. So maybe just buy a new card? BTW I have the drivers cd from Dell and it has more drivers under display drivers but you're only suppose to download the ones with a green check right? I have many drivers that need updating according to driver update. If I want them fixed they want me to buy the software.
August 30, 2012 7:52:34 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Aha.
Anyway, try the 8300/8400 driver or open your case and see if there is a video card in it.

I have no idea what I'm looking at inside my computer,my daughter left it opened because she installed a new hard drive and because the computer still isn't working right.
August 30, 2012 7:58:44 PM

On restart the NVDIA driver when enabled does this. I was told I have an integrated card and that it's working with a generic driver right now? I was told to buy the plug-in kind to solve the issue with the card?
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 8:24:42 PM

tinabev said:
On restart the NVDIA driver when enabled does this. I was told I have an integrated card and that it's working with a generic driver right now? I was told to buy the plug-in kind to solve the issue with the card?

Yeah, well, it could solve the problem for 15 bucks or so. And save yourself a lot of hassle.

But not knowing what exactly the problem is now could mean you buy that card and still have a problem somewhere. Plus i can't stand not finding the answer.

Maybe the modem has a conflict with the gpu. Did the problems occur after the new hd was installed ? ( guess so )

You could try to take out the modem ( if it's removable that is. ) Or look under modem or video card device on your system management ( i think it's called, i have Dutch OS ) and see if there are any conflicts with other hardware. Would like you to guide you how to get to that specific screen but i really don't know how to translate that from the Dutch Win7.
September 7, 2012 2:58:11 PM

Chatted with microsoft and they tried to help with no luck and said the problem is in the hardware so I'm going to order a video card and see if that solves the problem. He said the NVDIA GeForce 8300 GS is the right driver. It downloads but won't install but it shows up under Display Adaptors. Under windows updates it shows the NVDIA update as failed over and over and still shows as an important update to install.When it's enabled and I restart,I get a blue crash screen and the monitor shuts off and it's never able to restart so it does not get installed. I then have to turn off the computer and restart in safe mode to disable it to get onto my computer. I did get a new hard drive and it's a Seagate 160GB SATA-6G Barracuda 7200.12 HD. The old one was a Western Digital 320 GB. I'm trying to go as inexpensive as possible so it's worth it not to buy a new computer.
September 9, 2012 7:59:01 PM

I actua;;y had NVDIA installed and working for a couple days then my screen started flickering and I saw light yellow & white stripes then it went black and wouldn't turn back on until I disabled NVDIA again. I tried reinstalling NVDIA to know avail then ran a check with microsoft's fix-it and it said my current video card is not compatible with display driver model number WDDM with AERO. I checked and my driver is a non plug & play VGASAVE. Is that the generic one the computer's using now?
!