Dell Inspiron 530S card choices?

tinabev

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Pretty sure I need a new card.My computer won't turn on unless the NVDIA driver is disabled.I don't watch movies,just use use my computer for general use and to store pictures. I am told to buy the plug-in kind because mine is on the mother board? Also told to buy NVDIA or AMD? I have help to install.

Ok thats enough for the 5450 / 210 ( just ), not sure though about the 8400. It might work but i just don't know. For $5 i wouldn't risk it.

Btw ; not knowing if your motherboard has a 1.0 or 2.0 version pci-e the 210 would be the safest choice according to compatibility.

tinabev

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Is there a way to tell if it's 1.0 or 2.0? I have my computer opened. Also,can you tell me if my video card being that it's on the motherboard still needs a driver? I am getting confused with a lot of info. Microsoft chat told me the wrong NVDIA driver was installed and gave me another link but the update failed,I was going to try and find that link one more time before I buy a card if they were correct in saying it was the correct display driver and IF I my computer really needs it. I started fresh with a new hard drive and was having a heck of a time with the updates until I disabled NVDIA driver but my computer is blurry.

tinabev

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I don't have the link now but it reinstalled itself and under device manager it's the NVDIA GFORCE 8300 GS. It'sprompting me to restart,should I try again? I can always start it in safe mode like I've been doing and then disable it. I don't know where else to look for it in the computer. Thanks for your time!

tinabev

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I have the INSPIRON 530 S. I ran the driver utility and it showed:
NVDIA GFORCE 8300 GS 8.17.13.142 UNKNOWN OR UNSUPPORTED. CONTACT MANUFACTURER FOR POSSIBLE UPDATES.

THEN I clicked on :

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Why does the Intel® Driver Update Utility not recognize an Intel device on my system?
Intel provides generic versions of software and drivers. If your computer manufacturer altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes the Intel® Driver Update Utility may not recognize the device.

If I contact Dell they will charge me since I'm out of warranty. Is there any way to find the right one and download it?

According to the tech specs and assuming there isn't a card put in later on, it should have only the on board.

I was thinking of asking to open the case and see if there is a discrete card placed in it.

But trying the drivers could also provide an answer so was waiting for that. :)

I only use this benchmark to measure power consumption just FYI

http://www.hwcompare.com/4362/geforce-8300-gs-oem-vs-geforce-8400-gs-512mb/

And it says they are the same. But I'm not sure if they actually made a 8300GS integrated. I guess we will find out.

tinabev

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

tinabev

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I have no idea what I'm looking at inside my computer,my daughter left it opened because she installed a new hard drive and because the computer still isn't working right.