Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Frame issues with 660 Ti?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 6:35:28 PM

Well I got my 660 Ti today, and I'm having the same issues I was having with my 6870, and I'm thinking maybe this is just part of gaming lol, or maybe something in my build is holding my performance back.

What the problem is, is it looks like the frames are overlapping each other, or better explained, during intense scenes or skirmishes, I see lines during explosions or flashes of lights, muzzle flash, etc.. Also when I move around quickly the lines happen as well.

Here's my system:

i3-2120 @ 3.30Ghz
MSI GeForce 660 Ti Power Edition
Asus P8H61-M Rev 3
8GB Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz RAM
Ultra 550W PSU
LG 24X DVD/CD Drive

I'm thinking maybe there's some settings on the GPU that I'm messing up or something like that, or maybe it's my monitor? It's an old Dell 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor, typical PnP monitor, max resolution is 1440 x 900 @ 75Hz

Idk, I was hoping with this card, since it's such a giant improvement over the 6870, I wouldn't see these issues. On the other hand though, graphics wise, quality and texture wise, WOW, the 660 Ti is incredible. Things look so much different(better) then when I was running the 6870 and also the Xbox 360.

I've only been playing BF3.

More about : frame issues 660

Best solution

a c 291 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 10:16:52 PM

You mean horizontal lines? Screen tearing?

Like this?

If so, go to Nvidia control panel, 3D settings, Global setting tab, scroll down to Vertical Sync and select Adaptive. Then, upon starting games, those effects should be gone :) .
a c 599 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 10:20:18 PM

Turn on Adaptive VSync, OR turn up your graphics settings with more AA/AF. The key is to try to get your FPS as close to 60 as possible, which Adaptive VSync does automatically.
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 12:01:16 AM

Glad I helped ;) .
m
l
August 30, 2012 12:02:21 AM

Sunius said:
You mean horizontal lines? Screen tearing?

Like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Tearing_%28simulated%29.jpg

If so, go to Nvidia control panel, 3D settings, Global setting tab, scroll down to Vertical Sync and select Adaptive. Then, upon starting games, those effects should be gone :) .

WOW. That picture, explains everything that is wrong with my screen! Hahaha! I've never been able to put in to words what my screen looks like!

Thank you!! I will try out all of your suggestions.

Thanks!
m
l
August 30, 2012 12:03:25 AM

Best answer selected by h2l.
m
l
August 30, 2012 1:30:08 AM

Just went in to BF3 and the gameplay is fantastic with all settings maxed out! I only get a bit of tearing when stuff is exploding right in my face, and a lot of it. Other then that, my gaming is super smooth and fast.

Yes!
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 4:12:47 AM

Did you turn on Adaptive Vertical Sync? If you did, you should not get tearing at all. If you still do, something is not right. Could you film the gameplay with your telephone or something? It may not be screen tearing after all!
m
l
August 30, 2012 4:21:15 AM

Well, I do still get a bit of screen tearing, but nothing like before I turned on Adaptive VSync.

You wouldn't be able to see it if I filmed the gameplay with my telephone because it's a garbage camera. Sorry... :/ 

I mean... what else could it be? I shouldn't have any tearing at all? Maybe it's my CPU?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 4:49:08 AM

Hmm, what if you set vsync to ON position, instead of adaptive? Try that.

Screen tearing happens when the card draws an image just before sending it to the monitor, so you can see two images at once. Vertical sync makes sure that the card always sends one.

Adaptive VSync turns itself on only when you have fps higher than refresh rate. Screen tearing is pretty rare when you're below that fps. What cable are you using?
m
l
a c 108 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 5:05:50 AM

I was under the impression that if the frame rate dropped below 60(assuming 60hz refresh) for any reason(big explosion :)  ) Adaptive Vertical Sync kicks V-sync off to avoid the 60 to 30 drop(then as soon as you are over 60 kicks it back in for smooth gameplay). So you get page tearing(but don't have to suffer from a harder frame drop), just not all the time like v-sync off.

So Forced on would fix it, but the game may have a more noticeable drop when things blow up.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 5:18:40 AM

It's worth trying to see, maybe it won't lag! :) .
m
l
August 30, 2012 6:46:00 AM

I will try the On setting for the vsync. As for the cable, I am using a VGA cable, but with a DVI adapter. So it goes, Graphics card > DVI adapter > VGA cable > monitor.

Also, if it means anything, after I turned on Adaptive Vsync, when I play Dead Island I don't see ANY screen tearing at all. It's so awesome lol. Zombie killing in super smooth game-play. I wish BF3 was like that. :/ 
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 7:31:40 AM

Does your monitor have a DVI input? If so, you might try DVI cable, it may help to smooth out the tearing a bit.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:38:37 AM

That's it!!!!

WOW! WOW! I switched VSync to On and I get NO tearing AT ALL. I'm at 1440 x 900 @ 75Hz and fraps is telling me I am seeing 87FPS average on BF3!! I don't know if that is accurate or not, but wow, I have never gamed at such a high level of graphic intensity before. This is incredible!

Thank you Senius so much. You just made not my day, but my forever! :p 

Man let me tell you.. BF3 with no tearing issues, averaging 80FPS+ is quite a thing to behold.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 7:43:30 AM

Glad I helped :) . If you get stutters with a specific game, go to Nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings, program settings, find a game that lags, scroll down to vertical sync and put it on adaptive for that game. Vsync force on might cause laggy feeling on some games.
m
l
August 30, 2012 8:05:06 AM

Nope. No lag here! Perfect, smooth, absolutely perfect gameplay.

I think the real tragedy here is that I've been playing veideogames for 10 years, and I've never once experienced video gaming like this, ever. What a shame. The only game that ever came close to perfect(in it's day)was Halo 2.

Anyways, cheers Sunius! Thank you so much!
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 8:06:30 AM

No problem man :) .
m
l
!