Sign in with
Your question

GTX560 Ti Not Completely Fitting Into PCI-E Slot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 7:11:06 PM

First of all; hi everyone. This morning the GTX560 Ti I bought arrived and after a little bit of hassle, I managed to install it but the left side of the PCI-Express gold finger couldn't completely fit into the slot itself for some reason, which can be seen in the blury picture below. Could this cause problems like drops in FPS or maybe even more serious problems? So far the card performs well except in ARMA II and DayZ. Battlefield 3 gave me around 40-50 FPS during the tank driving mission in the city in single player campaign on all high settings with no AA and on 1680x1050 resolution with FPS dropping to 30 only once because of my HDD (it was under heavy load and it wasn't defragmented for a while) and between 25-50 in multiplayer on Caspian Border. Also my specs are below;

Intel Q6700 @ Stock Speeds
Gigabyte X48-DS5
Zotac GTX560 Ti with stock cooler @ Stock Speeds
A-Data 4 GB DDR2 800 MHZ Ram (2x2)
High Power 500W PSU
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

Thanks a lot in advance.
August 29, 2012 7:19:53 PM

I'm pretty sure the card not fitting all the way would cause that issue. If any vital pins weren't making contact, the card probably wouldn't even turn on, or your display would be all messed up.

Have you looked inside of the PCIe slot? Maybe there's something jammed in there that's making the card sit up? I would clean it thoroughly, and then apply some pressure to the card if it still sits up. Just push down, not too hard though, and don't move it around because it could snap off. Just be careful and apply some force to it. There's no reason why the card shouldn't properly fit unless something was blocking/jamming it.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 7:22:58 PM

Also make sure that left side is properly fitted in before the lever on the right clicks to the fastened position.
Related resources
a c 198 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 7:27:02 PM

The card wouldn't actually work if they weren't all making contact. Is something in the way? Did you screw the card into the case tight enough?

Those seem like normal fps for those games.
August 29, 2012 8:10:42 PM

Deemo13 said:
The card wouldn't actually work if they weren't all making contact. Is something in the way? Did you screw the card into the case tight enough?

Those seem like normal fps for those games.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Those framerates sound pretty normal for a 560 Ti
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 8:19:22 PM

No way those fps are normal. At those settings I get 50-60 fps in multiplayer with my card. But I doubt it's caused by the fitting. I was thinking about the power supply unit.. are both PCIe connectors plugged in?
August 29, 2012 8:28:25 PM

He said he was getting 25 to 50 FPS though? I'm assuming during high action parts and explosions, etc.. he probably gets lower. Does your 560Ti really get 50-60 FPS during all parts of multiplayer? Even during intense skirmishes and huge explosions?
August 29, 2012 9:06:41 PM

Sunius said:
No way those fps are normal. At those settings I get 50-60 fps in multiplayer with my card. But I doubt it's caused by the fitting. I was thinking about the power supply unit.. are both PCIe connectors plugged in?

Absolutely. I literally checked everything I can before even booting the system up. And after boot, I checked if the fan of the card's cooler was working and after I booted into Windows 7, I checked the temps regularly. Everything works fine. Also I don't think the system would boot if I forgot to plug both 6 pin PCI-E power connectors.

Anyway, I managed to solve the problem. The edges of the back metal plate/IO shield of the videocard that goes into the left of the case was being blocked by the case's motherboard tray and somewhat by the motherboard itself. Normally there are rectangular dents for those edges to fit into but since the ones on the GTX560 Ti I have are a little bit thicker, it caused a problem so I just bent them a little bit outwards (yeah I know it is a little bit barbaric), just enough to give them the slight curve to fit into the dents without getting blocked by the motherboard or hitting the motherboard tray. Thanks a lot for everyone who answered. Mods can close the thread if it is necessary.

The edges of the plate I was talking about

And the dents they supposed to go in. Note that this is from the inside of HAF-922 and not 932
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 9:16:55 PM

I can get 40 fps average with 32 minimum on ultra with 2x MSAA instead of 4x on 64 player map.

So on yeah, I get 50-60 on high with no AA without any problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg15cHH3faU&feature=yout...

Also, glad you've managed to solve it! Did your game performance improve?
August 29, 2012 9:51:51 PM

Sunius said:
I can get 40 fps average with 32 minimum on ultra with 2x MSAA instead of 4x on 64 player map.

So on yeah, I get 50-60 on high with no AA without any problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg15cHH3faU&feature=yout...

Also, glad you've managed to solve it! Did your game performance improve?

Well to be honest if you have an i5 2500K, it is no surprise that you can get 60 FPS without AA with GTX560 Ti since BF3 uses both CPU and GPU to their fullest unlike most of the other games in the market like ARMA II which is the game giving me the most headache at the moment. Also I didn't notice any performance improvement in Battlefield 3 campaign. Started playing the final part of Fear No Evil mission and FPS I was getting was practically the same. Nevertheless, it feels good to know that the card is properly fitted into the slot now.
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 9:55:06 PM

Well, that's the truth, but I don't really believe your CPU cuts the performance in half. It's not that bad. After all, it's a quad core Intel :) .
February 1, 2013 5:46:15 AM

I just had this exact same problem, case was an nzxt phantom 400. It has such narrow tolerance for the tabs that its difficult to even see where they are getting stuck. I spent about 30 minutes of trial and error running back and fourth to the vise in my garage...
!