Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon HD 6950 died??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 7:24:12 PM

I have an interesting problem, and not sure what the root cause is, and I'm hoping I can get some more ideas from you all. I've looked at other threads using my mediocre google-fu and all the problems I see are having problems with a new card (at least new to the system), or after a bad BIOS flash on the card.

*My card _had_ been working fine, for about a year.* There's been a couple changed recently, the past month I got into bitcoin mining. So that's really the only change I've had lately, I've been running a miner and overclocked the GPU using the Catalyst software. I'm fairly certain I returned it to regular, non-overclocked, settings (I got rid of internet before the move), computer and graphics card still working fine over multiple reboots after that. Then I moved, the only thing I've done between turning the computer off since it was last working fine, and plugging it in today to not boot and stick at 2A before POST, is use canned duster throughout the case, and move the whole computer to a new apartment.

Things I've tried,
unplugging everything except the mobo and graphics card, sticks at 2A
tried different power ports on the psu, sticks at 2A
moved card slots, sticks at 2A
tried old graphics card from another pc, Radeon x600 Pro, in same slot as original card, BOOTS FINE
reset CMOS, both button and jumpers, sticks at 2A
upgraded mobo BIOS, sticks at 2A
tried 6950's BIOS switch on 2, no change

So it definitely looks like it's something with the card and not the slot, and not the card BIOS because I haven't flashed BIOS since i first got it, and the original BIOS under switch position 2 doesn't work.

Can the move have done something to the card? everything was well seated, I checked.
Thinking canned duster may have moved dust it shouldn't have been? I took the covers off the card and rechecked, nothing looks amiss.

Any ideas on how to make this card work would be great, just moved and don't exactly have the money to drop on a new graphics card :( 

System Specs:
Mainboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE, 1000Watt, SLI ready
Memory: Corsair 16GB "Sector 5"
Graphics: 1 Radeon 6950, Shaders unlocked
5 harddrives, all SATA, 3 on Raid
LightScribe DVD-RW+-
BluRay DVD drive, writeable, SATA

More about : radeon 6950 died

Best solution

August 29, 2012 10:58:30 PM

RMA the card
August 30, 2012 5:59:12 AM

I did not realize the warranty was longer than a year, good thing I just went back and read the warranty info. Going to see what XFX says.
Score
Related resources
September 6, 2012 1:17:28 AM

Best answer selected by DJtechE.
Score
September 6, 2012 7:51:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!