Gaming build almost ready, questions about CPU cooler (overclocking)

cLocKwoRkTree

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hi all, first time builder here. I've been researching for a couple of days, and believe I've made a standard build (CPU, MOBO, GPU wise at least). I'm hoping to purchase this within a week (hopefully this weekend), and was hoping everyone could look it over, and answer some questions.

Background: I want to build a gaming computer (budget of about $1500) that can handle pretty much any game at max. I also decided to do overclocking in the future (wasn't planning to originally) so I'm looking for a good CPU cooler. I plan on having a two monitor set up (I'll be purchasing the monitors at a later time; I have a workable one right now I'll use to set up the computer). I will be using a tv for the side monitor, and buying an Asus probably for the main monitor (which I'll use to play games on).

Parts List:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=]Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing CPU Cooler
($36.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($427.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1208.97
(All links are to Newegg)

Questions:

- So I picked this CPU cooler because it had good reviews on Newegg, and because some of those reviews said "easy installation". I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for other coolers? Doesn't have to be the easiest installation, but since this is my first time I don't want something ridiculously difficult.

- PSU: I've seen some people recommend it, and I've read good reviews. Any other recommendations or ideas?

- Case: I picked 400R since it has USB3.0, good reviews and cable management. Any other recommendations?

Any questions/comments are appreciated, thanks!

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I suggest the Hyper 212 EVO instead.

You were probably reading Newegg consumer reviews. That particular PSU is pretty bad and has questionable quality. You'll only need 550w for a single GPU setup anyway.

Case are usually just preference, so just pick the one that tickles your fancy.
I like the Rosewill Blackhawk though.

cLocKwoRkTree

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Okay thanks! Ya The 212 EVO is cheaper and looks great too.

And ya I was reading some Newegg reviews, but good thing I checked here too. I'll pick a different PSU.

Thanks a lot!

cLocKwoRkTree

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
That build is pretty sweet its just slightly dated (by a month or two you know how things are lol)

1. Trade in that Zalman for an Evo 212 (27 bucks) a tpc 812 or v8 (around 50) or a noctua d14 (80), all are very nice and cool pretty much in the order that they cost.

2. mobo is nice but i have to mention the asrock extreme4 cuz its cheaper and just as good.

3. Make sure you get low profile vengeance.

4. Crucial m4 is very solid and reliable but newer and better ssds have emerged, check out the vertex 4 for the same price.

5. HDD is nice but im pretty sure it can be had for 10-20 dollars cheaper or even more if you are okay with just 1 tb vs 1.5.

6. This video card is just as good and alot cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008
only 380

7. Stick with that case its the best you can get :D

9. Upgrade the PSU if you are thinking crossfire later

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59617&vpn=P1750SNLB9&manufacture=XFX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182264

^^good choices, downgrade your wattage and mobo if you are going to stick with one card though.

Whoa I didn't know it was dated ahah! But ya that makes sense. What stuff would you change to make it more up to date? Just wondering in case i want to change some stuff!

1. Ya I'm going to trade for the EVO212

2. And ya I've seen a lot of good things about the ASRock. Is there any significant differences between them or is it just a brand name price difference?

3. What's low profile?

4. Okay i'll chekc out other SSD's good point

5. Ya I have an external too so i can probably downgrade this to 1TB too.

6. So I'm assuming the only difference in price here is the name brand as well? Or is there other differences between the Sapphire and Gigabyte 9790s?

9. And ya I'll definitely look at other PSU's too.

Thanks so much!

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
I agree with Jrgong in everything but the mobo the Gigabyte is better than the extreme 4 and worth the small amount extra. The ASrock provides features but it's cut corners elsewhere.

Low profile RAM means it doesnt have massive heatspreaders which are only cosmetic anyway and just get in the way.

Take his PSU options OCZ currently make some good PSU's but the one you chose is an older model not known for its quality.

cLocKwoRkTree

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Awesome. Ya definitely need the low profile then. And i will look at the different PSU options. Thanks!

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Where does the extreme4 cut corners exactly? Do you have any basis for saying that other than you own said gigabyte model? They are essentially the same board (the asrock is rated for slightly higher OCs though..) however its alot easier to find a deal on the extreme4. For instance right now it comes with free 8 gb of ram.

1 - This is just indicitive of cost cutting.... it is thinner than a standard board and smaller. Speaks volumes for a company when they literally shrink the PCB to cut cost.

2 - Look around some forums other than here that board has had users reporting issues with overheating VRM's down to it using cheaper mofsets, it will not 24/7 OC as well as the better models from Gbyte or ASUS.

It's not a bad board infact for many I guess it's pricepoint can make the difference between featured z77 or b75 just you can do better for not alot more and what irritates me with it is the way it is marketed as some extreme gift to overclockers when it isn't, IMO it's a budget board tarted up with some nicer features. Have you actually handled one? I have the thing is bendy it feels cheap from the minute you unbox it. Ok getting 8GB RAM free is a pretty sweet draw to it but really if the clients budget allows better even the RAM would make me struggle to use it.

In short it's a board I would recommend only when the end user has to shave £20 somewhere to fit in to a budget