Sign in with
Your question

Switched from ATI to NVIDIA broke onboard LAN

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 8:59:30 PM

Hello,

So today I took a leap and switched from a Radeon HD 6870 to a KFA2 NVIDIA GTX 680. I uninstalled the ATI drives and ran driversweep in safe mode to completely remove the old drivers.

Then I installed the GTX 680 and my onboard networking no longer was detected. I have checked the bios and even reset to its defaults but no change.

If I switch back to my 6870 the networking will work, It is not detected in the device manager on normal or safemode also tryed ubuntu boot disk and still was not detected.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-M52LT-D3 (rev. 2.3) and I have all the latest drivers installed.

Any help would really be appreaciated so far it seems I am going to have to buy a NIC but hopefully it wont come to that.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 9:17:50 PM

Have you tried reinstalling the Nvidia chipset drivers? This is not to be confused with the GPU driver?
August 29, 2012 9:19:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you tried reinstalling the Nvidia chipset drivers? This is not to be confused with the GPU driver?

Yes I downloaded the latest one from Gigabyte and used driver sweeper to clear the old ones... With the GTX 680 in my computer does not detect the onboard LAN its not listed on the Device Manager.
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 9:24:09 PM

I've never liked driver sweeper programs as I've discovered that they can delete files that they shouldn't have or files that didn't to want or mean to delete.
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 9:27:48 PM

Well that's bizarre. Did you try downloading LAN drivers?
August 29, 2012 9:31:55 PM

There is no direct LAN drivers just the chipset but that only said "Storage Devices" I guess I'll try a format I've nothing to lose but I doubt that will work since it isn't detected on Ubuntu neither. The lights still flash and it definitely is not damaged :/ 

I just want to scream first time ever I've put a lot of money into a higher end card and instantly got problems... Right now just put the 6870 network is detected straight away and working. Not going to bother reformatting might just take the card back for a refund.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 9:37:05 PM

uksupernova said:
There is no direct LAN drivers just the chipset but that only said "Storage Devices" I guess I'll try a format I've nothing to lose but I doubt that will work since it isn't detected on Ubuntu neither. The lights still flash and it definitely is not damaged :/ 

It says chipset/lan drivers on the Gigabyte site.
August 29, 2012 9:46:44 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It says chipset/lan drivers on the Gigabyte site.

NVIDIA MCP61/MCP68 Chipset Driver (include chipset\lan\sata raid driver) is what I got, I'm looking on the device manager now and the Network Adapater is NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, Some how the GTX 680 must be conflicting with it, it doesn't seem to be a driver conflict because it never worked before I installed the graphics drivers.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 9:52:28 PM

uksupernova said:
NVIDIA MCP61/MCP68 Chipset Driver (include chipset\lan\sata raid driver) is what I got, I'm looking on the device manager now and the Network Adapater is NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, Some how the GTX 680 must be conflicting with it, it doesn't seem to be a driver conflict because it never worked before I installed the graphics drivers.

:heink: 
August 29, 2012 9:59:51 PM

Mousemonkey said:
:heink: 

The networking stopped working after I plugged the GTX 680 in, after I installed the NVIDIA graphics drivers it still did not work. Sorry if my English is not very clear.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 29, 2012 10:24:06 PM

You may need a newer chipset driver because the new graphic driver is no longer compatible with the old lan driver from 2009.
August 29, 2012 10:38:17 PM

So the Gigabyte site says NVIDIA® nForce 520LE chipset is what is on the mobo, I looked on the NVIDIA site couldn't find anything. The Gigabyte site says I'm on v15.56 but I couldn't even find that version on the NVIDIA site.

I really appreciate the input though thanks alot so far ;) 
August 29, 2012 10:45:38 PM

Is it possible your driver sweeper program deleted something it shouldn't have? Have you actually switched back to the 6870 and had the LAN work?
August 30, 2012 10:20:02 AM

ram1009 said:
Is it possible your driver sweeper program deleted something it shouldn't have? Have you actually switched back to the 6870 and had the LAN work?

No the driver sweeper is not the cause because even on Ubuntu the onboard LAN is not detected.

I currently put the 6870 back in and onboard LAN works fine with windows and Ubuntu I'm going to buy a pci nic today hopefully that will solve it.
August 30, 2012 12:56:39 PM

Right so problem solved I bought a PCI Network Card and its running fine, the guy in the computer store was saying it was the motherboard getting a lack of power and he was talking about amps etc but I didn't have a clue and I'd already tried a much better power supply and it hadn't worked.

So far its running games fine, temperatures are fine and everything is working as it should, is there any concern to worry about potentially the PSU is not powerful enough? Currently I cannot afford to replace it so hopefully not.

Thanks for all the input guys :) 
!