Sign in with
Your question

New GPU for Guild Wars 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2012 9:42:33 PM

Hey everyone!

I am going to buy Guild Wars 2 but I already know that my PC will struggle so I want to know what should I change?

Take a look at my specs:

-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPUQ9550@ 2.83GHz
-Mother Board Gigabyte (G31M-S2L)
-RAM 4094MB
-Hard drive (primary) 465gb (WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0 ATA Device) (271GB of free space)
-NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
-High Definition Audio Device
-Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating system
-Monitor Acer X223W
-Case: Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-Power supply: Antec Earthwatts Model EA-500D 500W max

I think my only problem is the graphic card. My uncle suggested me the ASUS PCIE RAD EAH6770 DC 1024M at around 140$ but if you have a better suggestion or you think that I should change something else (ex: more RAM, better power supply...), feel free to comment.

Overall, I don't want to spend more than 200$, just want a quick and fast fix for GW2.

Many thanks!

*Also, if someone can guide me how to install a graphic card, tell me. Do I just unscrew my old GPU and then put my new one and install the drivers or is it more complicated?

More about : gpu guild wars

a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 10:05:11 PM

If you're looking at $200 then an ATI 7850 is right in your price range, you can find them starting at just under/at $200 with aftermarket coolers.

If you want to spend a bit less and get a 7770 though you'd be looking at something that costs under that $140 you're already looking at for a card that will outpreform the 6770.

Both will run your screen at balanced settings fairly smoothly, with the 7850 being a more powerful card you might be able to push some settings higher.
m
l
August 29, 2012 10:16:08 PM

trapper said:
If you're looking at $200 then an ATI 7850 is right in your price range, you can find them starting at just under/at $200 with aftermarket coolers.

If you want to spend a bit less and get a 7770 though you'd be looking at something that costs under that $140 you're already looking at for a card that will outpreform the 6770.

Both will run your screen at balanced settings fairly smoothly, with the 7850 being a more powerful card you might be able to push some settings higher.

Thanks for the reply!

But are you sure that the 7850 will be running just fine for my system? I don't know much about computer but I heard something called bottle necking (GPU/CPU too powerful for your current system).

*Also, if possible, I'd like the GPU to not make alot of noise.
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2012 2:38:42 AM

I have a Saphire HD 7850 OC it handles GW 2 at max setting well... just don't expect constant 60, but definitely good playable smooth frame rate. Although I am having artifacts/textures issues in game... The card runs other games fine though, so not sure what is going on... but it looks like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/367911-33-7850-saphir...
m
l
August 30, 2012 2:50:30 AM

Wormattack said:
Hey everyone!

I am going to buy Guild Wars 2 but I already know that my PC will struggle so I want to know what should I change?

Take a look at my specs:

-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPUQ9550@ 2.83GHz
-Mother Board Gigabyte (G31M-S2L)
-RAM 4094MB
-Hard drive (primary) 465gb (WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0 ATA Device) (271GB of free space)
-NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
-High Definition Audio Device
-Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating system
-Monitor Acer X223W
-Case: Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-Power supply: Antec Earthwatts Model EA-500D 500W max

I think my only problem is the graphic card. My uncle suggested me the ASUS PCIE RAD EAH6770 DC 1024M at around 140$ but if you have a better suggestion or you think that I should change something else (ex: more RAM, better power supply...), feel free to comment.

Overall, I don't want to spend more than 200$, just want a quick and fast fix for GW2.

Many thanks!

*Also, if someone can guide me how to install a graphic card, tell me. Do I just unscrew my old GPU and then put my new one and install the drivers or is it more complicated?

If you can spare $20 extra, newegg has a great card for sale really cheap right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .It can overclock really well and will have great performance. I just bought a GTX 660 ti, and I kind of wish I would have waited a week for AMD card prices to drop. $219 for that card is kind of ridiculous. Buy it before they run out of stock.

As for installing a video card, you will need to unplug the power supply. Then disconnect the power plug(s) from the old video card, unscrew the screws holding it to the case. Now all you have to do is find the lever that locks the video card to the motherboard. Push the lever, and you should be able to pull the video card straight out. Reverse the process to install the new one.
m
l
August 30, 2012 3:19:54 AM

Nvidia GTX 560 or 550 would suit you. Make damn sure your power supply has the required supplementary PCI connectors. Don't be like me and start off trying to buy one graphics card and ending up buyING A WHOLE NEW ******* COMPUTER BECAUSE HE WAS TOO STUPID TO DO SOME RESEARCH.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 12:03:51 AM

The only issue with going for a 7870 or higher is that your current CPU would be the bottle neck. The 7850 would even be pushing your CPU pretty good, but if you want to run higher settings it's still the way to go if you have the money. On the other hand the 7770 is $60 cheaper and will get you playing the game at lower settings - and the game still looks good. Personally I'd stick with the 7850 to turn on some of the eye candy though.
m
l
!