Sqealing noise from speakers

xaigion

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi all,

I got great feedback when I posted the component list for this build(list below) so I thought I'd ask for some help with the problem that has arisen.

I am getting a high pitched squeal noise from the speakers as soon as windows loads without any other sounds from windows(startup, games, movies etc.) The sound is not coming from the case, if i turn the speakers off it goes away and its gets louder when i put my head next to them. I've seen similar issues through google but none of the solutions have helped.

Here is what I have tried so far:

Uninstall/reinstall audio drivers
Remove/reseat all components and cables to and from the mobo
Flashed the current BIOS to the mobo
Tried the speakers on different computer
Tried headphones

At this point I'm pretty much down to RMA the board(which I really wanted to avoid). Let me know what you all think.

Build:

Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply

Ram: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL

PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply

Vid: EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0

SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus R2 VTXPLR2-25SAT2-120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Wireless card: Rosewill RNX-N300X PCI Wireless Adapter

Solution

I the problem does not go away when you remove your wireless card, then the wireless card is NOT the problem. :non:

It is possible that when you installed the wireless card, you damaged something else on the MOBO that is causing the problem.

rene13cross

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Could be coil whine.

Coil whine often manifests itself through the audio output of the mobo. The cause is most commonly the mobo or the graphics card.

Have you tried the graphics card in a different computer? If you have, and no coil whine, then you're right and it's most likely the mobo.

xaigion

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I forgot one thing. Not discounting coil whine.

The sound worked fine after i had installed everything except the wireless card(it was the last to show up). This problem started after I plugged it in. I have tried removing it but that does not make the noise go away.

I the problem does not go away when you remove your wireless card, then the wireless card is NOT the problem. :non:

It is possible that when you installed the wireless card, you damaged something else on the MOBO that is causing the problem.

Solution

xaigion

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

Yea, I kinda figured that might be the case. I had everything off, unplugged and static safe(i work in a static sensitive environment so i know the drill) but its possible that something happened. I could try using a standalone audio card but if the mobo is the issue it could be affecting other things as well.