Erickpego

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
So im building a new desktop but im not sure what cooler should i get.
So far i've bought these
Intel i7 3770k
Intel dz77re-75k
Corsair dominator platinium 16gb Kit CMD16GX3M2A2400C10
Cooler master storm trooper
Cooler master 1300w silent pro hybrid

And im planing to buy these
Corsair h100
Evga 690 gtx 4gb
OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-512G.M 2.5" 512GB sata III (SSD)

Is this configuration ok? Sorry for grammar mistakes i dont speak so good english. Help me please

g-unit1111

Titan
What's the primary use of this build going to be? If it's gaming a lot of the stuff you've bought is major overkill. The Dominator RAM is overrated and ridiculously overpriced.

Go with a Noctua D14 over an H100. And then for storage instead of spending $400+ for a 512GB SSD, drop that to a 128 - 256GB SSD and then get a 1 - 2TB secondary storage solution, better cost per GB.

As far as the graphics go - dual 670's will match or beat a single 690 in most cases and is $200 cheaper.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm saying get a smaller SSD and then an extra drive for storage. You don't want to overload your SSD because they have much more limited read - write spans than mechanical HDs do. You should use your SSD for OS and a few main programs only - store your games and large data on the secondary HD.

malbluff

Honorable
Yes it is faster, it's also a lot more expensive. Most stuff on a hard drive just doesn't justify putting on a SSD, to get fast access. The most cost effective way, unless you only have a very small amount to store, in total, is to have something like a 128GB SSD, for OS, and stuff that really NEEDS fast access, and a medium sized conventional drive for all the mundane stuff. Of course, you can choose to have a large SSD, it just not the most efficient way to do it. You will still need some sort of separate drive, if only for backups.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah - the cost per GB doesn't justify the purchase of larger SSDs. Get a smaller SSD around the 128GB range and then use a 1 - 2TB secondary HD. The speed doesn't change at all as Windows will recognize the SSD as the primary HD so you'll still get the same access times - it will just be a lot more cost effective.

g-unit1111

Titan

I really dislike closed liquid loops like the H100, and I've never seen anything that says they give you better OC results than strong air fans do. The only real step up from a D14 would be a triple fan radiator like a Swiftech Edge, otherwise go full custom.

Erickpego

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Ek maybe?