Solved

Do I really need a CPU cooler if I don't overclock?

Good day! I was wondering if I really need a CPU cooler if I don't overclock. I'm also considering what if the room temperature is hot, is it necessary to have it?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooler overclock
  1. 73c is the max allowed by Intel; if your temps are in this range when you're gaming or stress testing your system, then the answer is no.
  2. At the very least you will need the basic stock cooler that comes with the cpu. You only need a bigger beefed up cooler if you plan to overclock your processor.
  3. It may sound stupid but I'm worried if the basic stock cooler is enough especially when summer comes. I'm thinking about getting a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO. But if it's not really that necessary, I'll not get it.
  4. Best answer
    A HSF is the most basic requirement. You can't run a computer without a motherboard, you're cpu won't survive without a heat sink and fan.
    I would consider going for a cheap aftermarket cooler if you say your room is hot, or you have mid-high end equipment or your box doesn't have many ventilation points.
    But if you don't overclock and don't want to spend money, stock will be tolerable.

An aftermarket cooler is a good consideration for any computer, extends your hardware's life and sound down.
  5. If it will extend the hardware's life and sound down then I'll get the CPU cooler. It's because I'll build a new PC and it's my first-time. Thanks guys!
  6. Best answer selected by progamerboy.
  7. o1die said:
    73c is the max allowed by Intel; if your temps are in this range when you're gaming or stress testing your system, then the answer is no.

i also got this problem.. when i'm playing games it goes between 70c-80c. Do I need a cooler ? or is it normal... But my service provider told me that it is ok...
  8. I think under 90º Celsius is okay. You're safe with that, you don't need a cooler, get it just in case you don't want that temperature but useless IMO.
  9. I don't think it is necessary, but coolers have ok resale value or they can be placed on your next build. A heatsink is composed of metal, hence, will be good for decades. Honestly, it's up to you if your temps are normal, but I almost always get a 212 evo for the sake of lower sound. As an added benefit, if the fan fails, I have a few extra 120mm fans laying around. Lastly, my cpu should be less stressed, but I have no empirical evidence of this.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Overclocking Cooling CPUs Components