Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I really need a CPU cooler if I don't overclock?

Last response: in Components
March 9, 2013 8:53:35 AM

Good day! I was wondering if I really need a CPU cooler if I don't overclock. I'm also considering what if the room temperature is hot, is it necessary to have it?

More about : cpu cooler overclock

a b K Overclocking
a c 159 à CPUs
March 9, 2013 9:20:09 AM

73c is the max allowed by Intel; if your temps are in this range when you're gaming or stress testing your system, then the answer is no.
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2013 9:47:14 AM

At the very least you will need the basic stock cooler that comes with the cpu. You only need a bigger beefed up cooler if you plan to overclock your processor.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a c 158 à CPUs
March 9, 2013 9:50:07 AM

Yes you need a cooler no matter what.
March 9, 2013 10:27:08 AM

It may sound stupid but I'm worried if the basic stock cooler is enough especially when summer comes. I'm thinking about getting a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO. But if it's not really that necessary, I'll not get it.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 9, 2013 10:27:43 AM

A HSF is the most basic requirement. You can't run a computer without a motherboard, you're cpu won't survive without a heat sink and fan.
I would consider going for a cheap aftermarket cooler if you say your room is hot, or you have mid-high end equipment or your box doesn't have many ventilation points.
But if you don't overclock and don't want to spend money, stock will be tolerable.

An aftermarket cooler is a good consideration for any computer, extends your hardware's life and sound down.

March 9, 2013 10:44:37 AM

If it will extend the hardware's life and sound down then I'll get the CPU cooler. It's because I'll build a new PC and it's my first-time. Thanks guys!
March 9, 2013 10:44:54 AM

Best answer selected by progamerboy.
!