Graphics First pin on bottom is Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernk

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Hello I recently bought a HD 7870 by Gigabyte
When I took it out of the box the first pin was kind of cut in half on the bottom
I'm not sure if this is how it is suppose to be or not.
I looked at an HD picture of it and it seems like it's not suppose to be cut..
Would it still work?>.

Solution
I just went to Newegg and looked at three different brands of Radeon HD 7870 Video cards from ASUS, Sapphire and HIS. All of them have shortened contacts in the exact same place that you described. I never really paid much attention to that before but it looks like the cards are designed that way intentionally. For what reason I cannot say. However, this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIe ) describes the purpose of the contacts and it looks like those are the pins used to detect the presence of the X1, X4, X8, and x16 lanes on the card that is inserted in the slot.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Does it look like this? The gold trace shortened a bit?

clipboard01xv.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sometimes they are produced that way. The contacts are suppose to seat all the way into the slot. If enough contact surface is still there, it will make sufficient electrical contact. If, I'd say, more than half is missing, you might want to RMA it. Have you tried it? To be honest with you, I've never inspected the many cards that i've used for that particular problem, and never had an issue.

Vernk

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
When I opened the graphics Card and attempted to insert it into the PCI-E slot , I didn't know if it came like this or happen when I inserted it and both of them happen to pop off and cut a perfect line...But It's almost been 30 days with newegg so there is no way I can RMA anymore

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Even if it is the last day of Newegg's return policy, you can still RMA it. Start the process online. It's painless.

Vernk

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I haven't actually tried the Graphics card since my PSU is not juicy enough. But I tried a 4 tp 6 pin and the card powered on the fans were spinning but none of my screens would turn on (probably because the power supply wasn't enough) so I just took it out I thought it was broken

Not an anomaly. It's that way by design, or there would be graphics cards that existed without a shortened pin. Every card I've ever owned or viewed on newegg has the 2nd to last pin shortened on the side of the HSF and the first one on the other side.

That pin, and the first pin on the other side is that way by design. You should get your self a juicier PSU so you can see if the card works or not. The other issue is a non issue.

From what I've read, yes, they may not power at all. The bios may be reading that there isn't enough power, and just not let it run. I am not sure the technical issues behind it.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I just went to Newegg and looked at three different brands of Radeon HD 7870 Video cards from ASUS, Sapphire and HIS. All of them have shortened contacts in the exact same place that you described. I never really paid much attention to that before but it looks like the cards are designed that way intentionally. For what reason I cannot say. However, this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIe ) describes the purpose of the contacts and it looks like those are the pins used to detect the presence of the X1, X4, X8, and x16 lanes on the card that is inserted in the slot.

Solution

Vernk

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Wow, That's a relief. I thought I broke the pin's off. Thanks for all the help everyone. Appreciate it a lot and I hope someone else who has this problem will also.

Status
Not open for further replies.