Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics First pin on bottom is Cut?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2012 1:30:22 AM

Hello I recently bought a HD 7870 by Gigabyte
When I took it out of the box the first pin was kind of cut in half on the bottom
I'm not sure if this is how it is suppose to be or not.
I looked at an HD picture of it and it seems like it's not suppose to be cut..
Would it still work?>.
August 30, 2012 2:09:56 AM

can you possibly post a picture of the issue that you are describing? are you talking about the gold contacts on the bottom of the card that connect to the motherboard?
Score
August 30, 2012 2:20:08 AM

Yes, I'd too like to see a pic of that. There are no pins on the bottom, so I presume you mean contacts.
Score
Related resources
August 30, 2012 2:33:03 AM

yes the 1st gold contact on the big block is cut in to 3/4 I will paint a picture
Score
August 30, 2012 2:45:37 AM

Yes exactly but the shortened one is on the big long block
Score
August 30, 2012 2:47:00 AM

Does it look like this? The gold trace shortened a bit?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
Score
August 30, 2012 2:51:01 AM

IT is also on the side of the fans
Score
August 30, 2012 2:51:09 AM

Sometimes they are produced that way. The contacts are suppose to seat all the way into the slot. If enough contact surface is still there, it will make sufficient electrical contact. If, I'd say, more than half is missing, you might want to RMA it. Have you tried it? To be honest with you, I've never inspected the many cards that i've used for that particular problem, and never had an issue.
Score
August 30, 2012 2:51:17 AM

so essentially, the copper(?) line on the fat one came off?. if so ask and send the picture to your card manufacturer and ask if that would affect performance in any way.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:21:57 AM

if its uniformly common on the card, there's a chance it was designed like that at a chance? as the likelyhood of many of them missing by accident is low.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:26:42 AM

When I opened the graphics Card and attempted to insert it into the PCI-E slot , I didn't know if it came like this or happen when I inserted it and both of them happen to pop off and cut a perfect line...But It's almost been 30 days with newegg so there is no way I can RMA anymore
Score
August 30, 2012 3:26:46 AM

I do not believe there is a single PCIe video card that does not have that shortened pin. Go to Newegg and try and find one that doesn't. Mine do, every last one. This topic does show up from time to time. There is nothing wrong, that is just how cards are made.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:27:53 AM

I would say it's just a manufacturing anomoly. As I asked earlier, have you tried the card? Does it work?
Score
August 30, 2012 3:28:56 AM

yea as everyone said there doesnt really seem to be an issue here...pop her in and see how she works
Score
August 30, 2012 3:30:25 AM

Vernk said:
When I opened the graphics Card and attempted to insert it into the PCI-E slot , I didn't know if it came like this or happen when I inserted it and both of them happen to pop off and cut a perfect line...But It's almost been 30 days with newegg so there is no way I can RMA anymore

Even if it is the last day of Newegg's return policy, you can still RMA it. Start the process online. It's painless.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:30:56 AM

I haven't actually tried the Graphics card since my PSU is not juicy enough. But I tried a 4 tp 6 pin and the card powered on the fans were spinning but none of my screens would turn on (probably because the power supply wasn't enough) so I just took it out I thought it was broken
Score
August 30, 2012 3:31:27 AM

clutchc said:
I would say it's just a manufacturing anomoly. As I asked earlier, have you tried the card? Does it work?

Not an anomaly. It's that way by design, or there would be graphics cards that existed without a shortened pin. Every card I've ever owned or viewed on newegg has the 2nd to last pin shortened on the side of the HSF and the first one on the other side.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:35:05 AM

Vernk said:
I haven't actually tried the Graphics card since my PSU is not juicy enough. But I tried a 4 tp 6 pin and the card powered on the fans were spinning but none of my screens would turn on (probably because the power supply wasn't enough) so I just took it out I thought it was broken

That pin, and the first pin on the other side is that way by design. You should get your self a juicier PSU so you can see if the card works or not. The other issue is a non issue.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:41:46 AM

clutchc said:
Unless he has a really, really weak PSU, he should be able to test the card, shouldn't he? It can't draw much at idle. I would think he could boot to BIOS.
13W at idle, that's about an amp. http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

From what I've read, yes, they may not power at all. The bios may be reading that there isn't enough power, and just not let it run. I am not sure the technical issues behind it.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:42:13 AM

Screen's don't even work onboard or with the GFX either.. When I powered it
Score

Best solution

August 30, 2012 3:45:07 AM

I just went to Newegg and looked at three different brands of Radeon HD 7870 Video cards from ASUS, Sapphire and HIS. All of them have shortened contacts in the exact same place that you described. I never really paid much attention to that before but it looks like the cards are designed that way intentionally. For what reason I cannot say. However, this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIe ) describes the purpose of the contacts and it looks like those are the pins used to detect the presence of the X1, X4, X8, and x16 lanes on the card that is inserted in the slot.
August 30, 2012 3:52:36 AM

Wow, That's a relief. I thought I broke the pin's off. Thanks for all the help everyone. Appreciate it a lot and I hope someone else who has this problem will also.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:53:31 AM

Best answer selected by Vernk.
Score
August 30, 2012 4:14:52 AM

This is normal. If you look at the PCIe pinout specification you'll notice that any PCIe card will have at least two sensing pins (PRSNT1# and PRSNT2#)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIe#Pinout

The #1 sensing pin indicates that the card is inserted. Thus, it is shortened to ensure that all other electrical power contacts are inserted first before the card is allowed to draw power from the slot. This reduces the possibility of damage in the event that the PCIe card is hot-swapped while the machine is on.

The same is true for at least one of the #2 sensing pins which detect the largest possible lane width. Each card will have up to 4 #2 sensing pins corresponding to 1x, 4x, 8x, and 16x lane width. The largest sensing pin will usually be shortened as well.
Score
August 30, 2012 5:57:09 PM

bystander said:
Not an anomaly. It's that way by design, or there would be graphics cards that existed without a shortened pin. Every card I've ever owned or viewed on newegg has the 2nd to last pin shortened on the side of the HSF and the first one on the other side.

You're probably right. As I said, this was the first time I came across this question. And I personally, never inspected any of the cards I've built systems with as long as they worked when installed.
Score
August 30, 2012 7:42:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!