Sign in with
Your question

Finished build. Feedback.

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2012 6:18:10 PM

This is my gaming PC for WoW, GW2 and other stuff. (Not skryrim/CoD kinds of games I play those no xbox)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/loQY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/loQY/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/loQY/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($196.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($171.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $858.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I like everything but I want to make sure nothing burns out with each other. I even made my memory card brand a gigabyte so it matches with the motherboard. PartPicker said they're all compatible but I want an actual human to tell me if it is or isn't.

I'm remaking this thread because I changed a couple of things.

Thank you in advance!
October 25, 2012 6:31:51 PM

Quote:
no point in getting that processor if you are not going to overclock it, might as well just get an i3/pentium that will BEAST on it.

How did you know I wasn't going to overclock it?

Well I just googled and they said OC 965 is better than an i3. Thing is I heard overclocking a processor will make it burn out wayyyyy faster so I'm kinda scared to OC.

Edit: Is it worth downgrading my monitor to do that because if I downgrade monitor and upgrade my graphics card idk if the monitor could even handle it...
m
l
October 25, 2012 7:05:55 PM

entezio said:
How did you know I wasn't going to overclock it?

Well I just googled and they said OC 965 is better than an i3. Thing is I heard overclocking a processor will make it burn out wayyyyy faster so I'm kinda scared to OC.

Edit: Is it worth downgrading my monitor to do that because if I downgrade monitor and upgrade my graphics card idk if the monitor could even handle it...

Too high voltages are (generally) what will shorten the lifespan of a CPU when overclocking. For every processor that's capable of a significant overclock, there are forums dedicated to it. If you do a bit more research, you can find a consesus on what is a safe voltage ceiling to use - one that won't significantly harm the longevity of the CPU.

having said that, no two processors will overclock the same. While my athlonx3 has been running at 4 ghz for the last two years without a hiccup, that's no guarantee that anyone else's will.

good luck!
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2012 7:13:19 PM

quilciri said:
Too high voltages are (generally) what will shorten the lifespan of a CPU when overclocking. For every processor that's capable of a significant overclock, there are forums dedicated to it. If you do a bit more research, you can find a consesus on what is a safe voltage ceiling to use - one that won't significantly harm the longevity of the CPU.

having said that, no two processors will overclock the same. While my athlonx3 has been running at 4 ghz for the last two years without a hiccup, that's no guarantee that anyone else's will.

good luck!

Oh ok I see. Well then I'll search up all the overclocking tips for a phenom II x4 965 and bookmark them just incase I decide to overclock in the future. Thank you so much!

And may I ask, do you know if my build is safe and 100% compatible? Like everything will run at their full potential without any over-heating (not talking about overclocking potential, just regular).
m
l
October 25, 2012 8:42:57 PM

I have a 965, my cousin has an i3. My cpu does better.
m
l
October 25, 2012 9:49:53 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
I have a 965, my cousin has an i3. My cpu does better.

Brothern rivalry eh?
m
l
October 25, 2012 11:24:42 PM

No lol. I was just saying that the 965 is a good cpu lol.
m
l
!