Windows 7 fails to start when swapping 5970

dhruvmp

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hey everyone,

I have tried searching this issue extensively, but given the number and scope of problems that people have with 5970s I am having trouble finding an answer or potential solution to my problem, which is...

My problem:
I have two 5970s. I used to enjoy them as a QuadFire setup in my old rig. They used to have water blocks on them, which I have removed and placed back the stock shrouds back on. Now, one of the two cards does not work:
-When I use card A(working card) I can boot up windows no problem.
-When I swap out (same slot - #1) or add in card B windows will stall at the "Starting Windows" screen. It appears to happen right before loading the login screen.
-I am able to load into Safe Mode with card B, however, I can never get it to start when Windows loads drivers.

I have tried multiple driver versions (windows standard - 4/2012 and catalyst versions 11.X to newest 12.8) with no change in outcome.

My theory:
I do not think this is related to the heatsink/fan shroud on the card because I have actually swapped the two out (same PCB version) and both will work fine on card A. I think in some way I may have damaged/corrupted the bios of card B, and that is why Windows cannot load (other than Safe/VGA Mode).

Should I try loading up in safe mode and flashing card B's bios? Is their anything else I can do to sort out what may be wrong with the card?

Setup:
Core i7-3930k (stock speed)
Gigabyte X79-UD3
8GB Corsair Vengeance (stock speed, voltage)
Windows 7 64-bit

dhruvmp

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Unfortunately, no success.

I know these things are pretty picky when it comes to driver versions and clean driver sets, but I don't think that's the issue.

I welcome all suggestions though. Don't want to have to RMA this and pay for service/replacement if I can help it.

I may try to flash its BIOS, but not sure if I can do that in safe mode.

Had you done a bios flash on this card before? If not, I doubt that could be the issue.

dhruvmp

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
You may be right. I have not tried a BIOS flash before, and to be honest I would like to avoid it. I know it's a good way to make this problem a lot worse.

The card actually ran fine before I put the water block on and when running with the block. But since placing/removing the water-block and replacing the stock HSF shroud, I have come up with this issue.

Could be I physically dinged some pathway or something, but I would have expected random errors or BSOD, not a refusal to load with Windows??

Strange that I only have the error when it loads the drivers. It's fine when in safe mode or no video card (other than standard VGA adapter) drivers are installed.