Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Questions about the system I want.

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 25, 2012 6:42:05 PM

Hello

I am currently wanting to build my own (budget to mid range) gaming pc (it will be my first) as many say that there is a great sense of achievement in it, but I'm not sure is some of the equipment is compatible. Just to add, the games that I want to play are Skyrim, BF3, BO2 and other games like that.

I know that I definetly want an i7 2600k processor. (If anyone could suggest a better processor for gaming, that is better or the same and just cheaper then I would appreciate it).
Is that compatible with the Asus P8Z68-V LX and does this motherboard have the capability to run 2 gtx 670s as that's what I would like to upgrade to in the future. If not then could anyone possibly suggest another motherboard thats below 150 pounds, up to 200 if I really stretch it.

I would also like to know whether there are any cheap (50-90 pound) liquid coolers that are better (and easy to install) than normal fans. Again is this compatible for my system so far.

As well as, are there any cheapish ssd's and hdds that anyone knows of?
And if there are any cases that could house all of these different things? The case would have to be 50 pounds or less and I would really like it to be stylish, to impress my mates. :o  . I know that this is a very long thread, but I only have a few more questions. The Asus P8z68-V LX, does it support gtx's and radeons, because in the future I might think about buying either one, and I would really want 16gb of ram on my pc, so is are there any good RAM makers, that are reliable, but also inexpensive. And last but not least, I have absolutely no idea what type of Psu I will need, so with all of these features, can anybody think of how much psu I will need? (Remember the future graphics cards). I thank anybody who can help me with any one of these problems. One last thing, I don't have money coming out of my ears, so can people be reasonable with the things that they suggest, as I have saved for over 2 years just to buy this.

Thank You

More about : questions system

October 25, 2012 6:55:27 PM

Quote:

I know that I definetly want an i7 2600k processor. (If anyone could suggest a better processor for gaming, that is better or the same and just cheaper then I would appreciate it).
Is that compatible with the Asus P8Z68-V LX and does this motherboard have the capability to run 2 gtx 670s as that's what I would like to upgrade to in the future. If not then could anyone possibly suggest another motherboard thats below 150 pounds, up to 200 if I really stretch it.


They're compatible but there's no point in purchasing an i7, nor is it a good idea to purchase Sandy Bridge anymore. The 2600K has been discontinued and replaced with the 3770K. For gaming - there's really no games that will use all the extra threads that the i7 provides.

This is the motherboard and CPU combo I would recommend now:

- CPU: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/29-4intel-core-i5-3570k-...
- Motherboard: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z77x-ud3h-in...

Both of those are significantly cheaper and will allow you to upgrade elsewhere.

Quote:
As well as, are there any cheapish ssd's and hdds that anyone knows of?


Most 128GB SSDs can be had around the £80 - £90 range now. Get an OCZ Vertex 4 or Samsung 830 for that price, then add a Samsung Sinpoint F3.

Quote:

And if there are any cases that could house all of these different things? The case would have to be 50 pounds or less and I would really like it to be stylish, to impress my mates.


I'd suggest adding a bit more to your case budget, most of the really good ones are around the £60 range. Try this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-haf-912-pl...

If you want something that really looks cool I'd suggest this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-phantom-410-white-p...

Quote:
And last but not least, I have absolutely no idea what type of Psu I will need, so with all of these features, can anybody think of how much psu I will need? (Remember the future graphics cards).


The future generations will use less power than the current ones, and that will stay true for several years - decades even. The days of 1K+ PSUs are not necessary any more. This is all the power you will need: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-corsair-enthusiast-...
October 25, 2012 9:07:58 PM

Thanks dude, your amazing. I really didn't expect anyone to respond so quickly or so in depth, so thanks again, your a big help. As you know so much can you tell me what RAM I should get, and how much. Thanks Again
Related resources
October 25, 2012 9:59:32 PM

sausagerules1 said:
Thanks dude, your amazing. I really didn't expect anyone to respond so quickly or so in depth, so thanks again, your a big help. As you know so much can you tell me what RAM I should get, and how much. Thanks Again


Try this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-jet-black-lp-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v
October 26, 2012 2:58:26 PM

Ok so I'm definetly going to go with the i5 3570k processor, as it is tonnes cheaper and looks better than the 2600k to me, but is there another motherboard that can use liquid cooling and can cater for sli and crossfire on gpu's. Or would I have to up my budget to do that.
Sorry if I seem a bit picky
Thanks
October 26, 2012 4:23:15 PM

Sorry, I misread about the crossfire/sli about the otherboard, but is there another can cater for liquid cooling, and is liquid cooling even worth it?
October 26, 2012 4:58:14 PM

sausagerules1 said:
Sorry, I misread about the crossfire/sli about the otherboard, but is there another can cater for liquid cooling, and is liquid cooling even worth it?


Liquid cooling is only worth it if you're running a full custom loop or an open radiator. Plastic water blocks like the H100 only offer a tiny fraction of the overclocking potential that an open loop does. But full custom loops can get costly as you'll want to get GPUs that accommodate for liquid cooling as well.
October 26, 2012 7:04:55 PM

Could you explain what that means? I'm not the best at these sorts of things.
Thanks
October 26, 2012 7:50:12 PM

sausagerules1 said:
Could you explain what that means? I'm not the best at these sorts of things.
Thanks


This build here shows what a full custom loop looks like: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/hardware/dream_machine...

And explains all the parts needed to make it work.

This build shows what a plastic water block (H100) looks like: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/dream_machine_201...

And then this build shows what a partial liquid radiator pump looks like: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/switch-810-cosmos-i...
!