Philips AE issue with WinXP - A7M266

G

Fatburger may like this one since he has had a bad experience with Philips Seismic Edge drivers. :) So here goes,

Just thought I would report that I have experienced a "minor" issue with my Philips Acoustic Edge in Win XP. I put in this card to correct some problems with the SBlive! that I got on my A7M266 (1.2 GHZ Athlon) and it worked great under WinME.

The problem in XP home is that my computer won't shut down correctly with the sound card driver installed. It will go through all of the shut down sequence of "Saving your Settings" and then hang on the "Shutting Down" screen. At that point, I need to either hit the case reset switch (if rebooting) or push in the power button for 4 seconds to get complete shutdown. This is a little scary if you have write behind caching enabled on the hard drive because you don't know if everything is written to disk yet. For now, I wait about 30 seconds after the "Shutting Down" screen shows up before hitting the power switch, just to try and make sure it is done.

I know it is caused by the driver because as soon as I disable the sound card driver, the machine is able to shut down properly. Maybe I could get around this by doing a non-ACPI install but what a pain in the rear to totally re-install the OS for an otherwise perfectly functioning machine.

This is with the 1.55 WDM driver and is the most recent one available on the Philips download page (at www.pcsound.philips.com). The driver isn't WHQL certified, so maybe Philips will come out with one that is that will fix this problem. Not sure when that might be though. Other than that issue, the drivers seem to work quite well with great sound and no other "weirdnesses".

By the way, this happened in both an upgrade install of WinXP (from Win ME) and also after doing a clean install.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

G

Solution found! Someone on a different message board pointed me to some beta drivers that are available for download. These 1.61 beta drivers fix the shutdown issue I had with the Philips Acoustic Edge in WinXP. Here's the link if anyone else needs them:

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/drivers/AcousticEdge/WDMbeta.html

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain