Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

550 ti running much lower clocks

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 30, 2012 3:00:23 AM

Ever since I got this card I've been having issues with it downclocking to around 405 mhz or 50 mhz core clock. All the other clocks are lowered proportional to this. It happens spontaneously in a game, and I don't know whats causing it.
Before you ask:
No, it's not overheating.
It happens whether or not it's overclocked.
It happens whether or not the CPU is overclocked.
I already tried prefer max performance. Same result.
No, it is not overheating.

This doesn't happen ALL the time. Sometimes I don't get this problem for a few days. Other times I get them frequently.
The only thing I've found to fix this is to RESTART THE COMPUTER.


I have:
Phenom 2 Quad OC'd to 4gh
GTX 550 ti Gigabyte Cyclone II
Biostar 88g motherboard (Yes, It's a bit of a budget board but it gets the job done)
4 gb DDR3 1333mhz RAM
7200 RPM HDD
August 30, 2012 3:10:41 AM

If its not the game being too high-end, then it could be the card being too high-end for your setup. If all else fails, the sad truth might be that you need to exchange in in case of the GPU being damaged. It could be not working properly due to whatever damage.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 3:24:00 AM

^ A game being too demanding for a GPU will NOT cause it to run at lower clock speeds.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 30, 2012 3:29:16 AM

irzekk said:
If its not the game being too high-end, then it could be the card being too high-end for your setup. If all else fails, the sad truth might be that you need to exchange in in case of the GPU being damaged. It could be not working properly due to whatever damage.

I'm pretty sure my specs are pretty close to being of the same caliber. I just checked my motherboard specs too, and it SHOULD be alright (PCIE 2.0 x16). Although I did find that the max mhz for RAM is 1333, in which as i screwed up. Oh well, at least I won't have to consider what RAM speed to buy now :/ .
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 3:31:37 AM

sushia11 said:
I'm pretty sure my specs are pretty close to being of the same caliber. I just checked my motherboard specs too, and it SHOULD be alright (PCIE 2.0 x16). Although I did find that the max mhz for RAM is 1333, in which as i screwed up. Oh well, at least I won't have to consider what RAM speed to buy now :/ .

Though you say it's not an overheating issue, I'm still curious about your temps. What kind of temps are you getting on your GPU at idle and load?

Also are your drivers up to date?
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 3:33:22 AM

Ok, this happens to me only when my OC crashes with my 550Ti.

But, have you checked to see what drivers you are running?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 3:37:37 AM

sushia11 said:
My gpu's idle temp is mid 30s to maybe low 40s (as I OC'd it). Hottest it ever got I think was mid 60s.
The problem occurs on different drivers. Although I don't think I deleted my old driver files, which I really should.


I would take into consideration muffin's post, I think it may apply to you.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 3:37:49 AM

mocchan said:
Though you say it's not an overheating issue, I'm still curious about your temps. What kind of temps are you getting on your GPU at idle and load?

Also are your drivers up to date?

My gpu's idle temp is mid 30s to maybe low 40s (as I OC'd it). Hottest it ever got I think was mid 60s.
The problem occurs on different drivers. Although I don't think I deleted my old driver files, which I really should.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 3:43:49 AM

Deleted my older driver. I'll restart my comp now. However, It will be hard to determine if this worked, as this problem happens randomly. Sometimes it takes days, sometimes hours.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 4:00:18 AM

Restarted comp. Things back to normal.
However, an interesting thing to note is that yesterday I was trying to OC my card to 1060 from 1000 core. When I did and I looked at MSI Kombustor, it said my card was throttling so hard I was surprised is didn't break from the centrifugal force. Now I just tried ocing again, and it just downclocked to 979. Now it seems theres this weird zone after 1000 mhz that makes my clocks funny. Not sure whats going on.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 5:01:41 AM

the original post (the 405 and the 50) is from the gpu being at a different power state
you look at the gpu's bios and you will see 4 different power levels(and clocks) depending on what u are doing
the 50MHz and 450 Mhz are normal for 2d

or i'm talking about something else......
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 5:03:17 AM

So don't overclock.

550ti's suck at OC :p 
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 5:26:57 AM

don250r said:
the original post (the 405 and the 50) is from the gpu being at a different power state
you look at the gpu's bios and you will see 4 different power levels(and clocks) depending on what u are doing
the 50MHz and 450 Mhz are normal for 2d

or i'm talking about something else......

If it were at the desktop, I wouldn't be very surprised if it ran at those clocks. The weird thing is that downclocks during a fully fledged 3d game. If someone could tell how to set these back to normal short of going into the bios or restarting, I would be very grateful. And no, applying different clocks from Afterburner doesn't help.

In any case, thanks for everyone's help.
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 5:40:04 AM

That's called it not having a not stable OC.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 6:04:21 AM

The issue happens at the factory oc. It even happens at the normal clocks.
m
0
l
September 25, 2012 7:43:13 AM

Sorry for not updating in a while. I think my video card is going into 2D mode while in a 3D application. Funny thing is, I can't get it unstuck and back into 3D mode. Would be happy if I could just reset it and get it back to 3D without restarting :/ . Thanks
m
0
l
!