Gaming pc build forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dssq

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hello guys,

I have been researching into building a gaming PC for a $1500 budget. My budget includes a monitor and a keyboard. Here is the permalink

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ldoJ

I'd appreciate any input and recommendations on how I can improve this rig. I am looking for something that I can upgrade in the future without swapping out to many things. I am still debating on the HD because I do not want it to bottle neck my system. I plan on overclocking the RAM hence the 2133 Mhz ram.

It is my first build and journey into PC building and overclocking. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks

^Don't get either one of those....well the monitor is nice. While the computer itself is decent, Cyberpower tends to use cheaper parts in regions that shouldn't be, like the power supply.

As it is, your build looks pretty solid. If you are going to overclock heavily, you might want a nicer cooler. If not, then you should be fine with the 212 Plus.

Your build with a few changes:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.37 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($386.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.93 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Mac Mall)
Keyboard: Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1388.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Z77 Extreme4 is cheaper, has most of the same features, and comes with 8GB free RAM. There's no point to anything above DDR3-1600 except on an APU.

7970 is faster.

830 is faster and cheaper.

dssq

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I think those modifications make sense and look real solid. What's the deal with Nvidia vs AMD? I have always used Nvidia and was going to stick with the GTX 670 but seems like the HD 7970 is way better. However, isn't AMD going to be releasing their 8000 series soon? So should I wait or am I better off getting an Nvidia product. Some input would really help, I don't know enough about the market regarding these products.

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
your build is really good except the board i had some issues with msi boards , i would get the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H its pretty high end mobo and has a very good reputation , and are you sure about windows 8 ? have you tried it ?

That mobo is also fairly expensive, and won't deliver major benefits over the Extreme4 or GA-Z77X-D3H. IMO high end mobos are pretty pointless unless you have money to burn; there's always other places that will get you a bigger performance increase for your money.

Personally I wouldn't use Win8 (tried release preview; is rubbish). It's the OP's choice though.

dssq

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll go with the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H b/c I've read that Asrock extreme4 has quality issues out of the box and heard that Asrock's customer service is not very good. I would not mind paying a small premium knowing that I am getting a quality product I don't have to worry about too much.

I will probably go with a ram that has a lower clock since it seems like I won't gain too much in performance from it.

I have been looking at monitors, and I was wondering whether a high resolution monitor like 2560 x 1440 is worth buying. I use to game on a 15.6" 1920 X 1200 laptop and noticed the visuals were better on that than when I connected it via HDMI to a 1920 X 1080 monitor.

What is your take on that? I wouldn't mind shelling out the extra cash for the higher resolution to tap into the full potential of the graphics card. Any ideas on modifications or recommendations to the current build to incorporate a higher resolution screen and whether it is worth it (frank opinions are welcome) would be great.

HitmanGamer

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
"Water Polo consists of a ball and a pool with two nets at each end. This can be considered an aggressive sport because you are wrestling in the water for a ball from your opponents to score a goal.
The games in Britain have not always been this complex. Many years ago in much similar times children http://www.onlinebingo3.co.uk/"

For more online gaming, please feel free to contact me!

tegekkejongen

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
I just want to say that its an okay build but i think you can make an better pc for the same price
here is my suggestion:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZZ2BdC
which has:
a cheaper motherboard because you only pay extra for the SLI function but you dont use it
a better video card, because it is faster has more VRAM and is more power consuming
a cheaper case because a case is not important
a better storage solution, because a 128gb is enough if you combine it with an hdd of 2/1 tb. (could go for the 256gb ssd)
1tb is almost a must because games right now are like 50 gb
you could go for a lower wattage power supply, since the 970 does not use much watts but to much watts is never bad, but when it is not on sale any more you could just go for a 500-600 watt one and even that would be more than enough

Gid_The_Zen

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Hi. Brand new to this forum. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I've been learning a lot recently about PC building & fancy having a go. A lot of good info & parts ITT.

I read on a pc building guide that one needs to make sure parts are compatible with each other... how true is this statement?

I have a refurbed PC running on an Intel Xeon quad core 2.33ghz CPU & ATI radeon HD 5400. I want to upgrade both those parts & do a clean install in a couple of months time.

I'm looking at the AMD FX6300 CPU, NVidia GT720 & Hyper cooler evo 212 as upgrades oh & upgrading to an SSD, looking at the samsung 840 EVO.

I would ideally like the PC to run as quietly as possible. Not using it for high end gaming but my current CPU is lagging & spiking a lot. Never more than 3.5gb~ of the 8gb ram available is being used.

Any feedback appreciated.

Do I need to find out what motherboard I have?

Gid_The_Zen

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Thanks. So choosing all your parts IS NOT as simple as just buying a load of parts - compatability must be checked first.

How can I find out what motherboard I have?

Gid_The_Zen

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Yeah so found this motherboard on amazon & ebay. PC part picker doesn't look like it's got any Dells on there. How can I find out if this is compatible with the parts mentioned above or any parts?

Thanks

ER_MA_GERD_PERCES

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
I am wondering why you are getting windows 8 as oppose to windows 8.1, I have windows 8.1 and never had 8 and I heard that windows 8 is worse. You might just have it there as a placeholder though.

SILV3RT3CH

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Here is the best build I could think of, it can run most of today's games at medium to very high settings @1440p 30-55fps:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WxF4TW

Ps. Prices are always changing, at the time of reading this it could be anywhere from $1400-$1700:)

MegaAlalil

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Hey! I put up a list on PC Part Picker for you, you can get windows from kinguin. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MegaAlalil/saved/PVPp99

This features new skylake 6600k, R9 390 (basicly AMD Equivlant of GTX 970 other than that the R9 390 has 8GB Vram)

Motherboard supports overclocking and so does the processor. 8GB of DDR4 Ram, and a nice case. Hope you like it. and its 6 dollars over your budget. Windows on kinguin is about 15 dollars.

alexrepstel

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
This step by step guide should help, especially if it's your first time building a computer: http://repholder.com/how-to-build-gaming-computer-guide/
Feel free to ask any questions.

alexrepstel

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I see that you have a lot of doubts on your current hardware. This step by step guide will solve all your questions while providing you the best possible solutions: http://repholder.com/how-to-build-gaming-computer-guide/
Feel free to ask any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.