Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

120mhz displays

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 30, 2012 3:18:07 AM

Hey guys. Looking to change out my Hanns-G 27inch display. Using a Gefore 560 ti 448 card.

I was interested in 120mhz monitors, and every ones opinion. I'd like to stick with 27 inches, but some have said that 24 is better at the higher speed?

What is out there right now that is a smart buy at 120mhz or above... and is it as dramatic a difference as most say?


Best,

J

More about : 120mhz displays

a c 217 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 3:20:44 AM

There is no additional disadvantage with 120hz at 27". Some people feel that 27" is too big for 1080p, but if you like your current one at 27", that will not change with 120hz.

Personally, when gaming, it looks great. Even 30"s would be awesome for gaming. The only real issue with 1080p and a large screen will be with text and the desktop, and I still find 27"s to be very clear.

The biggest issue I see is that your card will make it hard to get FPS beyond 60 in order to really take advantage of the 120hz screen.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 8:12:45 AM

Ah... so for GW2, if I'm sitting at 50 fps, I won't notice any different with a 120mhz monitor?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 217 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 12:56:57 PM

Jordan0301 said:
Ah... so for GW2, if I'm sitting at 50 fps, I won't notice any different with a 120mhz monitor?


If you are using v-sync, and sitting at 50 FPS, there may be a touch less input lag, but you may not even be able to notice it. Other than that, nope.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 1:50:06 PM

Jordan0301 said:
Ah... so for GW2, if I'm sitting at 50 fps, I won't notice any different with a 120mhz monitor?


Correct. Before grabbing a 120hz monitor, you'll either want to significantly upgrade your video card setup, or follow the pro gamers and turn most non-resolution settings down until you break triple-digit FPS :) 
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 9:56:10 PM

bystander said:
There is no additional disadvantage with 120hz at 27". Some people feel that 27" is too big for 1080p, but if you like your current one at 27", that will not change with 120hz.

Personally, when gaming, it looks great. Even 30"s would be awesome for gaming. The only real issue with 1080p and a large screen will be with text and the desktop, and I still find 27"s to be very clear.

The biggest issue I see is that your card will make it hard to get FPS beyond 60 in order to really take advantage of the 120hz screen.



Thanks for the advice so far! Going to pick your brain a bit more if you don't mind.

If this monitor is for GW2 alone. I don't FPS... will 120mhz make a huge difference? As in, should I spend the money upgrading the graphics card to get 120mhz.

Or are there different monitors I should focus on?

This is my current monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I get confused when people talk the difference between IPS... 2560x1440... LED etc.



I suppose, I'm asking what you think would be the best option for viewing the "gorgeous world" of GW2, not necessarily competitive FPS.
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 10:50:15 PM

Looking at the Catleap SE... I can get it shipped for 280. Thoughts?
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 11:01:12 PM

Jordan0301 said:
Thanks for the advice so far! Going to pick your brain a bit more if you don't mind.

If this monitor is for GW2 alone. I don't FPS... will 120mhz make a huge difference? As in, should I spend the money upgrading the graphics card to get 120mhz.

Or are there different monitors I should focus on?

This is my current monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I get confused when people talk the difference between IPS... 2560x1440... LED etc.



I suppose, I'm asking what you think would be the best option for viewing the "gorgeous world" of GW2, not necessarily competitive FPS.


That's a tougher question. Me personally, I'd still go for 120hz and try to get a graphics card solution that can get you to at least 80 FPS. I do this because anything less causes me simulator sickness (like motion sickness). If you experience motion sickness with mouse drive games, then you'd like find relief with higher FPS and a 120hz monitor.

For others, they prefer the extra clarity and colors of an IPS screen, and at a higher resolution, it's crisper too. But for me, that's not as important as low latency which you gain with higher FPS and faster refresh rates.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 4:16:43 PM

Jordan0301 said:
Looking at the Catleap SE... I can get it shipped for 280. Thoughts?


There are 4 versions of that monitor. The only one that can reach 120hz is the one with the 2b circuit board. For $280, that's *very* unlikely to have the 2b, so you won't be able to overclock it to 120hz.

2b's, if you're lucky enough to find a catleap with one, run at least $400 - $460 with shipping if you get on the waitlist @ 120hz.net for the catleaps.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 8:24:32 PM

Yeah, I decided to just save the money and skip 120hz, but go for the killer resolution.

Now I'm concerned I'll still have to up my card from the 570 though to get decent frame rate.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 10:21:22 PM

btw, where did you find the non-2b catleaps for $280? I'd like to grab a couple more for eyefinity, but don't wanna pay the $350+ they're going for on ebay.
m
0
l
!