needsometips345

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
This is my current pc
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02838702&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5097929&tmp_track_link=ot_search

It has a 300 w power supply. I'm worried that if I buy a graphics card it might not fit in the case, i was looking to buy a new psu and a radeon hd 6850/6870 sapphire.

Here's the inside of the computer http://computershopper.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/hp-pavilion-elite-h8-1010-i/792640-1-eng-US/hp-pavilion-elite-h8-1010-i_maxwidth.jpg

Do you think I would able to fit one in the case or would I just be better off buying a different graphics card?If I have to get a smaller one what's best one I can get to fit inside the case?

I appreciate any help I can get, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to computers in general and I was hoping this would be simple enough

Solution
I think so, can't imagine that they designed it that way that it would be to big. Like i say, couldn't measure it to the exact millimeter but it looks like 1.5/1.7 ish.

99.99 % sure you're fine.

drums101

Distinguished
the power supply looks to be standard atx style so that should be an easy upgrade..as far as the gpu goes it looks like it should fit in there what you could do is take measurements and see how much room you have for a card..the length is going to be your main concern....if you are choosing between the 6850 vs. 6870 def buck up and get the 6870 its worth it.....it looks like a 6870 can fit in there but you cant tell for sure unless you measure....it appears that you can just move all those cables up out of the way

needsometips345

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
thanks for the replies,my budget isnt a problem and my resolution is 1920x1080. I took a measurement of the inside and the current gpu is 6.5 inches in length. The thing that worries me is there is a node(?,not sure if this is the correct word) in the computer that sticks up directly left to the graphics card and the ram clip of the one perpendicular to the gpu seems to be centimeters away. Do gpus normally stick up enough to clearance and avoid these? Also keeping the current measurements in mind,would a sapphire radeon hd 6870 fit just fine?

You mean the cooling for the South-Bridge ( that metal cooler thingie under the pci-e slot ) ?

If yes ; no worries, the card goes over it.

6870 is great.

Behind your current gpu is there room left or none ? ( must the new gpu be 6.5 or do you have room for more ?

Hah, good one. Hard to tell from the picture actually. I think the ram lever would be ok, but i really can't see on the pic how big that other thing is.

Don't know what it is to, maybe someone else does.

I do see that same thing on mine though and it is definitely not big enough to be in the way. If it's not as big as your ram lever is ( mine is half of that ) it's no problem.

Great, let me crawl down over the floor to measure the space between my card and the mobo. :lol: ( need to dust there i believe )

Wow, yours is definitely bigger than mine :heink:

Euh, yeah, that would be a problem i think, there is maybe 1.5 - 1.7 cm space between mobo and gpu. :(

needsometips345

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I double checked to get an accurate measurement and the piece sticks up a little less than 1.5cm off the motherboard,as for the ram lever I'm guessing the back of the new gpu will be in the same area as the old one so it wont hit it. Should I be fine?