Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Budget question&(upgrade or full build advice)

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2012 8:23:54 PM

Here is the heart of my current rig.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2554344
I'm considering to fully upgrade it, for an entire new build how much would I need to pay to get something better. Doesn't need to be high-end i5 3570k+ 670/7970 build. I'm talking about something like 10/20% better than my current stuff. Would it be like 500 dollars build? More? Less?
And upgrading my current specs is also under consideration, got an 600W PSU, I may change my VGA because I believe it is my biggest bottleneck. If so, what card to buy without getting bottlenecked by the CPU? Also my motherboard has only one 1.0 PCI express port, pretty outdated I know.
October 25, 2012 9:03:59 PM

That would depend on what you want to do and what you have to work with.

Be specific about your case and PSU and HDD.

If those will suffice, then you might be able to afford a new system.

An i3 MIGHT be sufficient upgrade in most games... I would have to find some benchmarks.
m
l
October 25, 2012 9:22:47 PM

Proximon said:
That would depend on what you want to do and what you have to work with.

Be specific about your case and PSU and HDD.

If those will suffice, then you might be able to afford a new system.

An i3 MIGHT be sufficient upgrade in most games... I would have to find some benchmarks.

Don't have the exact model of my PSU, I opened my case and it's from MTEK. I have an 500Gb 7200RPM seagate HD. Isn't the bottleneck the GPU over the CPU?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 25, 2012 10:15:07 PM

Probably the least botleneck, would be the processor itself, but really you should be updating GPU, mobo, RAM, which would rather force a CPU change, as well. Even if it were suitable, I wouldn't recommend connecting an old PSU, to new components. That's just as likely to fail, and destroy half your new components, with it. Not worth the risk. If you HDD is SATA, it could be re-used. The same would apply to an optical drive. If you case is a reasonable mid-tower ATX it may be worth re-using it, but as you can get a reasonable new case for under $40, it's a question of whether it's worth re-using.
One thing which is important, in cost of new build, is operating system. If you need a new OS, Windows 7 64bit is basically $100. Other than that, you can put something decent together, in the $500 region, especially if you can re-use some parts.
October 25, 2012 11:36:01 PM

thanks, gonna think about it
m
l
October 25, 2012 11:36:37 PM

Best answer selected by otakubr.
m
l
October 25, 2012 11:43:34 PM

otakubr said:
Don't have the exact model of my PSU, I opened my case and it's from MTEK. I have an 500Gb 7200RPM seagate HD. Isn't the bottleneck the GPU over the CPU?

That would depend on what GPU you have now. It's pretty hard to say what is an upgrade when you don't tell us what you have. monitor resolution also.
m
l
!