raseru

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I got one of these xfx HD 5770 radeon http://static.clickbd.com/global/classified/item_img/670817_0_original.jpg

My GPU fan is spinning slow causing my computer to overheat, but I know it's just because it isn't spinning right. Like if I try and spin it with my finger it barely rotates. It had this problem some time ago as well and just messing around with it, and somehow it started spinning easily again. It was fine for a few months after that.

There's no screws on the fan and I'm a bit unsure if I try and separate the little plastic bottom part and the fan top part that I might break it, but I don't know any other way to see how to properly fix it..

Can I just buy a cheap GPU fan replacement?

xfx used to have a life time warranty on there gpus. before you spend money i would see if you can send your card in for replacment.

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
basically, gpu fans are also like chassis fans. You need to open it and apply grease or oil. To access the fan, you need to remove the entire heatsink and plastic enclosure. Separate the heatsink from the plastic enclosure then you should be able to see where the fan is screwed. There should be a sticker at the back of the fan. Remove than to open the part where you would need to put grease or oil. Spin the fan a couple of times to ensure its fully lubricated before putting everything back together :) By the way, if you want to replace the entire heatsink, its kinda hard to look for GPU coolers for older models with 53mm mounting holes.