Is this Case overkill?

bladegamester

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Okay so i was planning on building my first system, that i plan to be upgraded over the years, so i was going to buy the NZXT switch 810 full tower case, and my hardware is:

Cpu:Intel 3570k

GPU: MSI 660ti PE(may put in another one later one for SLI)

MOBO: Asrock extreme 4(if you have any upgrade ideas for this i'd love to hear them)

RAM: crucial ballistix 8gb kit(will probably keep it at 8gb till i upgrade the mobo and cpu)

HDD: seagate barracuda 2TB 7,200RPM (Will add an SSD as my first upgrade)

Also will take a dvd drive from an old build of my dad's, add a fan controller later, and i think the MOBO comes with a usb 3.0 expansion bay, also i want to add in a custom water loop later for just the CPU, SO YA... the main question here is the case overkill for all this stuff or not?

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Not really, just throw in a nice CPU cooler and your good! But you could get a better, more air-cooled case for the same or less. I don't know many myself, but someone else on here definitely does.

bladegamester

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
ya as of now i have a cooler master hyper 212 evo which i herd is a great cooler. But ya i am open to suggestions on cases, if they are cheaper but have better air flow, and plenty of expansions bays, that would be awesome.

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Well already a few suggestions have popped into my mind...

Rosewill Blackhawk: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107
Comes with a 5 fans, and room for another on the bottom, and also behind the motherboard tray. Great cooling, I am getting one myself :D

CM HAF 932: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213
Never owned one myself, but this one has great reviews if you want a full tower. The 230s in this beast will keep your hardware nice and cool.

Corsair 300R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011
Don't be turned off by it's lower price tag, this case has some serious potential. It only comes with 2 fans, but has space for 7 total. If you fit $60 worth of fans on this thing, you have yourself a case!

CM HAF 912: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
Another cheaper case, but with the same type of potential as the Corsair. This one, however, has space for a 200mm up front, so low noise with amazing airflow!

Any of these cases will suit your needs well. Just depends on aesthetic preference, but with the upgraded fans, both the lower end of the price range cases will certainly be equal to the others in cooling performance. If you want to go full tower, remember that your PSU cables may not reach due to the added size. Full towers are beneficial though in the form of space. They have oodles of it. This contributes to you in the form of having extra space when assembling. Just make sure that wherever you intend to place it, it has enough room. You may think that a few inches bigger isn't that much of a difference, right? WRONG. Some are very surprised at the pure size of full towers when they purchase their first. For a CPU cooler, that EVO will serve you well if you want to do minor OC'ing. If you want to do more extreme clcoks, like the 3570k's threshold of around 4.4-4.6GHz, then try the Noctua D14. Best CPU cooler you can get on the market. MAKE SURE IT CAN FIT WHATEVER CASE YOU CHOOSE. That thing is a monster.

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Very true, yet I didn't feel the need to because I originally was going to suggest the Carbide line, but for some reason only felt like putting in the 300R. Trying to do a range of prices, I guess.

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Go for it! That is a nice case as well, with about the same 230mm fan setup as the HAF 932. The Thor will indefinitely support SLI/Crossfire due to it being a full tower, with an abundance of space. Which version were you going to go with? Black or White?