ASUS U46e Video Memory

tobikohai

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hey everyone, looking at my girlfriends pc. She is wanting to play guild wars 2, when running a benchmark for the game she passed on all spec's except for Dedicated Video Ram, saying she only had 64mb of video ram, when looking in the decription of her computer it says she has Shared Video Ram, her computer having 8 gigs of Ram total.

So how do I go about sharing the Ram to Video memory, I'm far from advanced in computers but I have searched around, seeing that people are telling others to look in BIOS of their computers by pressing ESC or Del on start up, which doesn't seem to be the correct button to press from the ASUS, also i am aware sharing memory to video will slow down the computer, but at most I have seen her only use 2 gigs of ram, well below 8 or even 6 for that matter, so I'm sure we'll be fine.

Lastly I may have found BIOS, not quiet sure, but if I did and the Video memory and Ram are grey, and unclickable is this the only way to share video ram, or is there some other way to share the ram.

If it is unavailable for her computer, why would they say that the Video memory for her laptop is shareable?

drums101

Distinguished
if you did indeed get into the BIOS nothing is clickable its all done with the keyboard not the mouse....there should be an option in the BIOS to adjust the amount of shared memory for the gpu...basically the system allocates a certain amount of system ram for the gpu...this could slow down your system but since you have 8gb of ram you should be fine....when you start the computer next pay attention to the dell screen on there it will most likely tell you what button to press to enter setup which is the BIOS...once in the BIOS you just gotta look around for some kind of video memory setting and change it to a higher value.

That laptop will not be able to play Guild Wars 2. It doesn't lack video memory - it expands itself when needed, so you don't have to worry about it. However, the graphics processing unit on that laptop is too slow and is way below minimum requirements of Guild Wars 2. I'm sorry.

The only solution I can offer you is building a cheap desktop for around $500 including windows and monitor if you're interested.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($57.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P23 (B3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($35.99 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($56.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer V213HLBJbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($125.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.01 @ Amazon)
Total: $502.88
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-30 17:05 EDT-0400)